Why do people tend to get angry when speaking of politics?

I understand politics is such a touchy subject and people are very opinionated. After there are more replies to a question people tend to get angry or hostile in a sense. Even to the point of bashing for no reason.

lawmom27

Asked by lawmom27 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I take offense to rudeness, not the different opinions. When I vehemently disagree, I leave it alone--why invite rancor?

I do find those who respond with rudeness and try to make it seem more valid by using random CAPITALIZATION,

overuse of punctuation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

playground name-calling to be particularly annoying,

insertion of multiple spaces between lines,

random bold or techno-color font,

and the inability to spiel cheek, or use grammar affectively {all errors done for demonstration purposes only},

to be the most annoying. Usually those individuals won't accept any other POV other than their own. It is unfortunate.

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You answered your own question. It's a touchy subject and everyone has their own opinions that other may not agree with,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Oh, around here, it's not for no reason, there's a long list of previous conversations that leads to the bashing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Because nobody likes to have their opinions/ beliefs/ political standpoints challenged, and are too immature to talk civilized and in a respectful manner.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I don't really pay attention to the point of bashing. I like anyone who is a good person. I prefere not to know their religious or political views.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Weird isn't it..is it old brain?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• imo, it's because people support things they don't truly understand, and when you try to defend something you don't understand, the emotion of feeling confused by lack of knowledge gives way to adamant defiance and anger as a last resort. people who are informed are rarely hesitant to admit when they don't have an answer and need to do more research. people who won't do that research will flat out make the argument that you're a stupid head who's husband probably cheats on you. it's because they are too uninformed to say anything else.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have always been told to avoid talking about religion and politics if I want to maintain a calm conversation with someone lol. Those are very touchy subjects that people get worked up about because their beliefs in them are so strong. As women, we tend to let our emotions get the best of us, and I think that is what causes all of the heated arguments when talking about things that we're so passionate about. Everyone believes their beliefs are right, and nobody likes being told that their beliefs are wrong. Instead of discussing the different POV's, people come into the discussions already on the defense because they know that someone is going to tell them they're wrong. It's just one of those things that if a person can't stand the heat, they should avoid the kitchen at all costs lol.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Some do not know when it's time to agree to disagree. If you do not agree with them they may hurl an insult directly at you because they're not able to tolerate a opinion they do not agree with.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:49 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Ofcourse everyone has an opinion but why get to the point of degredation when people don't agree.
    lawmom27

Comment by lawmom27 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2010