Why didn't they stitch my gums closed?

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. I expected that they would sew my gums up but they didn't. Now I have these big gaping holes in my mouth and I keep getting food in them. I am scared they are going to get infected. I rinse gently with water every time I eat but it makes me bleed again when I do.

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 11:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Health

• When I had all four of my wisdom teeth done last year. They put stitches in them. Your molars have more roots than your other teeth and leave a bigger opening. I can't imagine why they didn't. I hope they gave you something for pain.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:49 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• They rarely sew up the gums after a tooth extraction. I've had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled plus a couple of others, I've never had my gums sewn shut.

The first couple of days after an extraction it is best to eat soft foods. Also, were you given a big plastic syringe to rinse the pockets out with? If not, get one (should be able to get on at any drugstore or pharamacy or big box store that has a first aid/medical section).. Use warm salt water to rinse out the pockets.

It takes a few weeks for the holes to actually close up. But as long as you are taking good care of them, and being careful of what you eat (hard things like chips, nuts.etc. can damange the clots that are forming).. And not doing anything that can damage your clots or cause dry socket (no smoking, no using a straw, not eating /drinking anything too hot).. They should heal up just fine all on there own.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Oh yeah.. This goes without saying. But I'll say it any way.

When you rinse the pockets do so gently, so that you do not wash out any of the clotting that's forming up. Clotting is actually protecting the inside of your gums where it's actually starting to heal. Remember, they heal from the inside out. So the clots help to protects that healing/new growth.

Did you get any pain meds, if not take ibuprofin every few hours to not only help with pain but with swelling as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• they sewed up my gums. i was 17ish... my mom wanted me to get it done while i was under her insurance. i was so scared .. I hope you feel better! that sounds frightening.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I didn't have mine stitched. As I understand it, it is supposed to bleed into the hole, then the blood congeals and heals and becomes new tissue. If you still have holes, it could be dry socket. That's what I got. Go back to the dentist!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I'm not sure. I thought they stitch after removing wisdom teeth too. Hope you feel better soon!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It's so they will heal from the inside out, some docs stitich a little but still leve it open, some leave gause, mine left gause and 2 stitches, but it was still open. don't mess with it or it will get infected, rinse with warm salt water
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have no clue ouch
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I don't think its dry socket because I just got it done yesterday.
    luvsmysonjames

Comment by luvsmysonjames (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• If it's dry socket, you would be in quite a bit pain.

Those are just the empty sockets left from where the tooth was. It'll close up. It just takes a few weeks for it to get completely closed. My last tooth extraction was back on July 8. My sockets still aren't completely closed, they are still open a couple of centimeters.. It takes a while for them to completely close.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:05 AM on Aug. 8, 2010