New Job, new lifestyle

Ok, so I've found out that I'm going to interview for this new job. My anxiety is through the roof. I'm not sure what to do. I know I can do this job, and I know I can do it well, but if I can't nail this interview because of my anxiety, I'm really going to regret this. Any suggestions for lessening anxiety (aside from a few stiff drinks)?

gnovinger

Asked by gnovinger at 12:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Preparation is key! Do your research on the company and postition, and be well prepared with great answers and great questions. Reach out to your Linkedin network, and other networking groups, for contacts within the company, for inside "scoop". If the company has them, read their Facebook and Twitter pages.

I do career and job search coaching; send me a message if you have any questions!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Bach flower remedies - any healthfood store has it. Try it out before the interview. If anything fails, do what I do when I meet important people that have the potential of intimidating me: I imagine them sitting on the toilet with their panties hanging by their ankles. Always works. Just try not to smile too much, it might blow your cover.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 12:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I've found that preparing a lot the night before something big helps. Down to my outfit, a checklist of what to do before, to be timely of course, to making sure I have all of my shower stuff. That way things can run as smoothly as possible
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• As your doctor if he can prescribe you an "as needed" prescription for anxiety. I'm really not into taking drugs unless I absolutely have to, but I'm pretty sure I would not have gotten married if someone hadn't slipped me and antidepressant! Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• *Ask...
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:09 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Drinking isn't exactly what you need to do before an interview, but it was a good idea. lol - you just need to be prepared! Go over typical interview questions they might ask and prepare your answers and practice them a lot! Some questions might be... what can you bring to this job/company? Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years? What are your strengths and weaknesses? do you have any questions for us? - ALWAYS ask a question related to the company and business (never about benefits or salary). Why did you leave your last job? What were your expectations and how were they met? I did this and nailed my interview - I came off confident and intelligent. Mindbread.com has some great interview questions and how you should answer them - take some time reading that and then work out your answers and practice, practice, practice! Good luck! If you do this, you'll do just fine. :-)
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Philippians 4:13
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 7:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010