How can I prepare my son for school?

My almost 6 year old will be starting school on Aug. 25th and I know he is super nervous and so am I! But I was wondering what kind of tips I can give him to ease into school and well anything at all would be great!

Thanks

MomTo2Boys2526

Asked by MomTo2Boys2526 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He is probably more ready than you think, since he is six. Talk to him about school and how he feels. Read to him every day if he cannot read yet. Take him to his school for a visit so that he will be able to see how it looks and where things are. If you haven't had him in play groups, they are a great resource for early socialization skills.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Try to get on a good sleep schedule, practice setting out clothes the night before and let him pick out some breakfasts/lunches to pack/after school snacks. Just one less thing to think about when things get busy.

Buy supplies together and talk about what he's most excited about and what he has questions about. Remind him to be himself and that everyone's "in the same boat" when school starts.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Can you visit the school beforehand even if it's just into the front door and talk to those in the office? Can you ride on the bus with him the first day?...........it was allowed when our boys were little. There are cute books out there about the first day of school. Best wishes!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• His school should have an open house or something like it. Try to answer any questions he may have. School supply shop together. Get him excited about school by talking about all the new and fun stuff he is going to do.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/41/forums/read/11968232/Back_to_School_Anxiety
    kmrtigger

Answer by kmrtigger at 3:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Invite one of the classmates over for a playdate before school starts so he will know at least one kid.  Meet his teacher in advance if possible (one on one).  Read books and talk about school so he is prepared and knows what to expect.  See some books about starting or afraid of  school http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html   When kids see their favorite character do things or have certain feelings it helps them to understand because the books are written on their age appropriate comprehension level.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would definitely speak with his teacher about this so she is aware. I know in the school I work and we deal with special needs kids though, if they have an accident they have to be taken down to the nurse for clean up because the teacher is not allowed to do that. I would definitely speak with her and also speak with your doctor and really try practicing this with him at home as well. Maybe when he is home, just keep him in regular undies and no pull ups so maybe he will realize that he is a "big boy" now going to school and he needs to wear big boy undies and go in the potty. Also try to see what his poop schedule is and try gauging it when he has to go and around that time, set him on the potty to try and give him a book or something to look at while he sits there waiting. I hope this helps you. Best of luck tomorrow! HUGS!
    sippincoffee

Answer by sippincoffee at 9:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Talk to him and maybe have special little things that you do for him when he is a good boy at school, like a little snack of something special when he gets home, or watching a movie together. Also talk to him and tell him how great it will be. There are many books now that you can get to read to him about the first day of school and that may help as well. Best of luck to you. Also if you know of any children that will be in his class, maybe you can set up a playdate before school starts so he will know someone else in the class!
    sippincoffee

Answer by sippincoffee at 9:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I am sure he will be just fine
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I had 'practice school' with my kids.
    We would practice eating our lunch with our lunch bags, had circle time, practiced raising our hand, listened to stories and worked on letters. Practiced taking them to the school (since we live to close to take a bus).
    My kids didn't act nervous, but it helps they are only a year apart, so they have each other to go to school together.
    My dd told my ds what kindergarten would be like so he was more prepared than her.

Our school had kindergarten orientation also - does your school do that?
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010