I LOVE COKES I USUALLY DRINK ABOUT 3-4 A DAY AND I JST FOUND OUT LAST WEEK THAT IM PG IM ONLY 6 WKS I CUT DWN 2 ONE A DAY!! DO U THINK THAT OKAY OR CAN CAFFEINE CAUSE MISCARRIAGE OR HURT THE BABY?

IS CAFFEINE THAT BAD

kim2316

Asked by kim2316 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You can have caffeine in small amounts, I know someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think it is 350mg a day is what is considered safe during pregnancy. I cut mine down to one or two soda's a week that were caffeinated, and started drinking 7-UP and other un-caffeinated drinks.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• you are allowed to have up to 300 MG of caffeine a day. just look and see how much caffeine are in coke.. i just looked and in pepsi [what i drink], a can has 38mg of caffeine so im sure coke is somwhere around that. im sure its fine.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 7:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I think you can have up to 300 mg of caffeine per day. Nothing is safe and healthy is Large amounts, in general...but just keep reminding yourself WHY you cut back on the caffiene not why you want to drink caffiene. that type of thought helps with A LOT of things through out your pregnancy =)
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 7:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• You could have a Coke or 2 a day. Just make sure you are drinking lots of water. other wise you will get dehydrated. You could get a bladder infection if drinking to much while pregnant. I know it happened to me. Also later in pregnancy if you don't keep yourself hydrated it could cause you to go into labor. This also happened to me. I am not a big water drinker.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• If you can, stop drinking soda. There have been numerous studies linking soda usage during pregnancy to fetal problems.

I am currently pregnant and I do not drink any soda and rarely drink anything decaffeinated. I have been drinking orange juice instead for my sugar cravings/caffeine cravings. It is temporary that you will need to modify your diet. After the baby is born, resume your soda intake if you want to. By then, it will have lost its appeal.

Anonymous

• I craved mt. dew with my first son and coke with my 2nd son. I didn't over do it with either of them but continued to drink them. They were both term and healthy. I continue to crave coke and enjoy a mt dew once in a while also. I wouldn't stress over it.
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I WOULDN'T DO NO MORE THAN 2, MAKE SURE YOU DRINK LOTS OF MILK AND WATER THOUGH. i HATE MILK BUT I DID DRINK LOTS OF IT FOR MY BABIES.i'M A DIET COKE FANATIC BUT I WOULD DRINK REGULAR WHEN PREGNANT.
    iloveprater

Answer by iloveprater at 8:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I tried to wing myself off of caffeine and it made me so sick. I called my doctor and they told me that that was bad that I needed to cut down but not to stop all the way cause it will give you terrible headaches. So I drink about 2 sodas a day to keep the headaches away
    lelandsmom6707

Answer by lelandsmom6707 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• when i was pregant w/ my dd my ob/gyn specialist (i was high risk) told me to not cut down my caffine by much if any due to it would stress my body and could increase my chances of a miscarriage! soooo, i'd ask your ob/gyn to be sure. but i can say this, my dd was fine, no problems, still no problems. she's not hyperactive or anything. very healthy (she's 6 and is 4'5"!)
    defiantpromises

Answer by defiantpromises at 9:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• You can always switch to caffeine free? It might not taste as good but still worth a shot! Good luck! Soda is my addiction too ;)
    l.bicks

Answer by l.bicks at 9:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2008