Eating?

How much does a normal 2 year old eat? sometimes i worry that my son doesn't eat enough so i just wanted to know how much other 2 year olds eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For ages 2 to 3, the USDA recommends a child consume 1,000 to 1,400 calories, depending on their activity level. Even though your child may not be eating as well rounded a diet as you would like, as long as your child is growing normally and has a normal energy level, there is probably little to worry about. Remember that this is a period in his development where she is not growing very fast and doesn't need a lot of calories.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/kids/index.html
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• As long as he's gaining weight normally he's fine. I think it's tricky when parents make a big deal over getting their kids to eat more, because some kids use it to manipulate their parents. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son would go in spurts of eating like crazy and then not eating hardly at all. Now he is almost 4 and he is currently eating like a grown man--I think it's a growth spurt, just like he had during the 2 yr old years. I wouldn't worry too much! Just try and make sure to offer him a variety of foods!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 12:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Very, very little. It is normal for toddlers to virtually hold their weight from 1 to 3... that is, to be within 10 pounds of their weight at one when they turn 3. They get taller, but should slim down.

Their growth slows so rapidly at around the time they start walking that many parents freak out and fear that they're in danger of starving to death. They're not. No child will voluntarily starve (or go hungry for more than 10 minutes) in the presence of food. They do, though, figure out that if they wait any time at all, parents will break out the 'good' stuff. They need so few calories compared to even a few months earlier, they can afford to wait.

You can know about this, and plan the food you offer accordingly. Nowhere else in the world is there the level of pandering to small child's preferences that there is here --Indian kids eat curry, Greek kids eat olives-- offer food, wait for them to be hungry enough to eat it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have 2 girls, 10 years apart in age, but my oldest wouldn't eat enough to keep a bird alive. I remember the doc always said 'When she gets hungry, she'll eat. Otherwise, don't worry.'...But I couldn't help it, I worried anyway. I ended up relying on vitamins. As long as she was at least having that, it kept me from fretting over her.
    mommie2mommie

Answer by mommie2mommie at 1:06 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My daughter is two. she will eat bfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. everything with a glass of water. she usually finishes her little plate as well. shes at 90% for her height but only 50 for her weight. shes 37 in tall and 28 lbs

mommy2b0805

Answer by mommy2b0805 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• They go in spurts. My ped says they can live healthy on 1 tsp of food a day per year old they are...amazing but true.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010