How much help do you get from your SO/DH

does he hold up his end when it comes to actually parenting and taking care of the house, not just making money?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• We are both working parents and we take not even roles exactly but fair roles in the household, family parts. I am off of work by 3:15 (home by 3:45) every mon-friday. He has a rotating schedule and works a lot of weekends. I get home and do cooking and dishes and start on laundry (most stuff on cleaning waits till our daughter goes to bed so we can spend a lot of time with her). He folds his clothes and puts them away while I do mine and our daughters. I do the heavy duty cleaning and he picks up. He takes the trash and recyling out. I mow. We both spend a ton of time with our daughter. He works a lot of 14-15 hours days in the hot heat. When he gets home, I do not expect or want him to do anything but cool down and relax. He will usually sit with our daughter and read to her but no big time play. Just quiet, no energy games while I do things around the house. Not even but fair in our roles and duties.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yeah, My DH really does. He's not too happy with the way I keep house, which is "lived in" but not really bad. In my opinion. That bugs me, and when he does dishes I feel guilty. BUT BESIDES THAT.... he really helps a lot and I'm thankful for it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My husband is a great dad! He does all of the dad things really well. His help around the house is a joke. He will do a load of dishes occasionally, but the dishwasher is only half full or when he puts clothes in the washer the whites and colors and jeans all go in together. So I end up redoing it all. Gah!
    But he is so good at being a DAD that I am happy and I know how lucky I am :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My husband comes home from work at 7-8 Pm, goes out to the backyard, lights a cigarette, drinks a beer, reads his book while drinking, then comes inside, takes a shower, plays with the kids while I fix his dinner (re-heat), then eats his dinner, smokes a cigarette, plays with the kids while I clean up everything and helps me wash, change the kids, we all stay in bed and talk and sing and laugh, then the kids go to sleep, my husband opens a second beer, I get on CM or something else, then he comes in so that I can go take a shower, then we go to bed and most of the time make love, rarely not.
    On the week-ends is a different story. We do everything together, we play with the kids together, we shop together, we cook together.
    I would say that except for the beer drinking/smoking/reading activity which only takes him about 30 mins a day, and him taking a shower and eating, he is always doing something for us or the house.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 12:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• yes, I think he really holds up his end. When we both worked full-time, we split all the household chores and we both helped out with our son. We'd each take a room of the house and get it clean room-by-room. He's always done all the outdoor chores and vehicle maintanence and I've always done all the cooking and paid all the bills. Now I am a sahm and I do most of the household chores--all cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. while he still does outside and the vehicles. He knows to pick up after himself and he will help me with some cleaning and he is always there for the kids. He's a really great husband and father.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 12:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yup, he is the strict one lol.....the only thing he dose not do is change my daughters diapers or bathe her, he dont feel comfortable..
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Parenting, yes, especially with DS who is almost 8 and needs 'boy time' with Dad. Housework, um, no. Zero help there. Today he did a load of dishes and it was the first time in at least 6 months. BUT given a choice I guess I'd rather he helped with parenting and slacked on housework than the other way around.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Nope, I have to do everything, it doesn't matter if things are clean around our home to him or not. I think that's just wrong!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I feel like our roles when he gets home switch
    He initiates cleaning, I follow
    He does the laundry and loads the dishwasher, I do sometimes, but he's just so on top of it
    He is great with our son and his idea of fun is getting together with other dads and getting the babies together, he just loves his son so much, I feel so happy that our son will have more than my SO and I both got growing up.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• since i longer can stand for to long my other half does help a great deal , he will cook ,clean, and hang laundry on line.even cut grass since are kids are older they help as well ,my job is to fold laundry and he will put them away for me
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010