What do you do to get your kids to read?How do you get them to obey you?

Two completely different questions, not related to each other at all.
If you want to pass on a love of reading to your children, what techniques do you use?

For the other question: do you spank your child, use time out, talk to them, or what other ways do you use to get them to obey you?

RegocijoJoy

Asked by RegocijoJoy at 7:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• To pass on a love of reading to my kids, I read to them when they're younger and for the older one I try to make sure I can get her the books she wants. Most of the time it means going to the library but some I've had to buy them. As for discipline, I will only spank if they do something dangerous, such as playing with a lit candle. I first talk to my kids and make sure they know and understand why something they did was wrong and if they knew better, I take away a privilege, such as making them miss out on a dessert or missing their turn to pick out a movie, to them the worst punishment is getting kicking off the video games.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 7:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would take away all the distractions when they disobey. have them earn them back one by one. don't give in. my 13 yr old miss a manditory young marines drill we stripped his room of his psp ipod cable box bike etc. the first week or so was hard for both my son and me but after that he said "Mom when is the next drill" lol best wishes..
    Anonymous

• I am not much of a reader but, my hubby is always reading. And he reads to the kids in all kinds of voices they love it. They cry when I read to them. My 4 y/o asked my to teach him to read. Pray for me!! We have little high frequency word books and he is starting with the first one in that series. The only two words are "I" and "see" the rest are pictures. He is doing good so far.
    Obeying: spanking and timeout and I always talk to them after the punishment is over. And I don;t give them a million warnings either. I tell them one time if they don't do it then they are punished. I am married but, I am mostly raising our kids alone hubby is in the military, and there will be five of them in feb so, i would get trampled if I didn't stay on them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Reading: my husband and I are both avid readers. We always read to our children before they could read themselves, and made the books come to life as much as we could to capture their attention, and to show them the magic of a good book. I am happy to say all 3 of my kids love to read.

Obedience: We believe that kids are intelligent, and should be allowed some freedoms and some choices, so everything gets discussed. I've never hit my children any more than a single swat on the bottom. I don't argue with them...that gives them the idea that the parent is their equal, and therefore has no more authority than they do themselves. When my daughter gets mouthy, ofr example, she gets sent to her room until she can speak calmly and respectfully. We don't demand over obedience in all things, but we do expect respect ALWAYS.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Reading: I love to read and so do my children. I use animation and sometimes puppets to capture thier attention. When my son's were younger they enjoyed the different voices when I read to them and now that I have younger daughters, I find that using puppets are the best for them.

Spankings - Nope, I don't spank my children. In our home, it doesn't solve the issue, it only makes the situation worse. I believe spanking should be the last option in disciplining a child, if at all...we talk with our children. They understand consequences and actions and they also know what we'll tolerate and what we will not tolerate.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Hey all,
    I have a daughter and one on the way, and have worked in a Daycare/Preschool and took some classes in Early Childhood Education, and this is a question I've heard a lot (the one about reading), and I came across this book that has tips, tricks, activities, book lists for each age (from baby to high school) absolutely everything you could need that deals with reading and books
    Raising Bookworms:getting kids reading for pleasure and empowerment
    raisingbookworms.com
    it is written by Emma Walton Hamilton (daughter of Julie Andrews) and she gives tips, fun games and activities, and all kinds of really great information on how to get your kids to LOVE reading and to continue reading.
    Also...on her site she has a free little book download with some tips and tricks and facts in it for free!
    raisingbookworms.com
    Jessicaann00

Answer by Jessicaann00 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2008