Do you think the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was necessary or genocide?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I see it in a couple of different ways. First I see it as at the time it was a necessity to show not only Japan, but the rest of the world the US meant business. Then, after watching a documentary called White Light, Black Rain, reading books on both Hiroshima and the Manhatten Project, I would get a feeling that the US had a new toy and they wanted an opportunity to use it to see the results of the bombs. I don't see it as genocide though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It was a nasty time and I do not think I could ever answer this question without living through this time.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• The scientists who developed the bomb were all shocked at the strength it had. They did not fully realize all the destruction it was capable of doing. There are a couple schools of thought on this. Genocide would really not be one considered by reputable historians. If we had to invade mainland Japan, we would have had hundreds of thousands of dead allies. However some believe since Russia had agreed to join the invasion Japan would have likely surrendered.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:52 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It was an act of war--genocide is a carefully crafted attempt to annihilatean entire ethnic group through murder.  The goal wasn't to eliminate the Japanese from the face of the earth, but to make a bold, effective, and distinctive strike during a time of war.  The devastation was unprecedented and I believe a surprise in its vastness.  The loss of lives is horrible--but not genocide.  What Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot did were genocides.

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Necessary... We gave civilians plenty of time to evacuate.

“Read this carefully as it may save your life or the life of a relative or friend. In the next few days, some or all of the cities named on the reverse side will be destroyed by American bombs. These cities contain military installations and workshops or factories which produce military goods. We are determined to destroy all of the tools of the military clique which they are using to prolong this useless war. But, unfortunately, bombs have no eyes. So, in accordance with America’s humanitarian policies, the American Air Force, which does not wish to injure innocent people, now gives you warning to evacuate the cities named and save your lives. America is not fighting the Japanese people but is fighting the military clique which has enslaved the Japanese people.
    Con't
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Con't
    The peace which America will bring will free the people from the oppression of the military clique and mean the emergence of a new and better Japan. You can restore peace by demanding new and good leaders who will end the war. We cannot promise that only these cities will be among those attacked but some or all of them will be, so heed this warning and evacuate these cities immediately.”

Also, An American-controlled radio station on Saipan was broadcasting a similar message to the Japanese people every 15 minutes. Five days after the fliers were distributed.
    America asks that you take immediate heed of what we say on this leaflet. We are in possession of the most destructive explosive ever devised by man. A single one of our newly developed atomic bombs is actually the equivalent in explosive power to what 2000 of our giant B-29s can carry on a single mission.
    Con't
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Con't
    This awful fact is one for you to ponder and we solemnly assure you it is grimly accurate. We have just begun to use this weapon against your homeland. If you still have any doubt, make inquiry as to what happened to Hiroshima when just one atomic bomb fell on that city. Before using this bomb to destroy every resource of the military by which they are prolonging this useless war, we ask that you now petition the Emperor to end the war. Our president has outlined for you the thirteen consequences of an honorable surrender. We urge that you accept these consequences and begin the work of building a new, better and peace-loving Japan. You should take steps now to cease military resistance. Otherwise, we shall resolutely employ this bomb and all our other superior weapons to promptly and forcefully end the war.

Genocide has NO WARNING.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• An act of war.

I think it was horrific and terrible...like all acts of war but that's what a war is. You either kill enough people that they can't fight you anymore or you scare them so badly that they sit down and shut up. This was a case of sit down and shut up, and it worked.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:53 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I lived through that war, and my husband served on the U.S.S Indianapolis. We knew Carpy's father who served on the U.S.S. Gilmore. Anybody who thinks Truman did not do the right thing need to watch WW ll on the History and the Military channel.By dropping those bombs it saved millions of American lives by not having to invade Japan. More civilians were killed by regular bombs then were killed by THE bomb. What the Japs did to the Chinese, Philippines and other countries is unspeakable.

Anybody who think it was genocide, I would like to see them stand face to face with my husband, or the many Americans who were  prisoners of war in Japan. Some people with their ignorance just make my blood boil.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My husband just attended the 65Th memorial service in  Indianapolis on Aug 1, for all his shipmates that were killed. Now would be a great time for anybody who thinks it was genocide to come talk to him face to face. He will be 89 next month, but you will get an earful, if not more.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010