What do you do to get your kids to love reading? Also, how do you get them to obey you?

Two completely different questions, not related to each other at all.

If you want to pass on a love of reading to your children, what techniques do you use?

For the other question: do you spank your child, use time out, talk to them, or what other ways do you use to get them to obey you?

RegocijoJoy

Asked by RegocijoJoy at 7:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• As for the reading, read to them. Do it in a fun way (voices, acting, etc) to make it something they look forward to. Involve them, like discussing the pictures in the book. As they learn, read together. The important thing is to make it a regular, enjoyable part of their daily lives.

As for discipline, it varies from child to child. What works for my daughter may not for either of my sons. The trick is to keep trying to see what gets through to that particular person, and keep evolving as the kids do. There are no definite answers with discipline
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Reading: If you want them to be a reader then you have to be a reader. The more you read the more they'll want to read; Read books daily; spend time reading together and talking about what you read.

Discipline: consistency is a big key, along with NO is NO. If you say NO then mean it and don't allow any amount of whining, crying, and begging change that answer. They will learn to respect you and know that you mean what you say. Clear boundaries are the best. Routines/Schedules the more routine and schedule the day is the better they will learn what's expected of them and when to do it. Lastly, re: spanking, time outs etc. I agree with the previous post. It really depends on the child what works for my DS doesn't work for my DD, etc.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I read to them (they get to pick the book) . I don't declare any book to be a less worthy book, if they want me to read them a comic book before bed then I'll read them a comic book. If they want a picture book or a story book then that's what they get.

Probably the most important thing I do is let them see me reading for pleasure. I read a study not that long ago that showed that people who love reading have children that love reading. Kids copy their parents.

As for discipline... I try to catch them being good. If I give them praise for doing what I expect of them rather than give them attention only when they're being bad they tend to be more good than bad.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 8:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree 100% with what SAHMinIL wrote. I read almost everyday for pleasure and my kids are picking up on that. They see me enjoy myself and want to take part in it. I can usually get them to find a favorite book of their own to "read" and snuggle with me while I read mine. My kids are 2, 4, and 5.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I read to my son as much as I can. I have been doing it since he was a baby and now he loves to read. Some of the books I have got him are Hardy Boys, Unfortunate Events series, Magic Treehouse, Harry Potter, stuff like that.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 10:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• As far as reading I started reading them bedtime stories every night and now that they are older they don't always like to read but it's part of their homework every night and we sit down and they read to me. As far as the second question I spank, will put them in the corner or ground them, it all depends on the situation at the time.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Read to them and let them see you reading.

A variety of methods, depends on the child's age and understanding. I don't assume they are mind readers but if they clearly know the rules they also know the consequences. For some things they may get a spank, for others a time out, no snacks, no tv, no computer time, etc. It just depends on the "offense". I also REALLY like the calendar "Wise Words for Moms" for my older kids. (View Here) It's $3.49 at Christian Book Distributors, a great deal for a great tool.

pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I spank, I talk and explain why rules are rules and such. I take things from them that they really like if they are defiant.
    As for reading, I read. I let them see me read and value reading. I read to them and buy them books. I'm much more likely to interrupt their tv time than their book time for things like "take the trash", if they're reading, I might just take that trash out myself!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• As far as reading goes, read to them, read with them and read on your own. Also, let them make up stories and tell them--reading and writing go hand in hand, as does imagination and creativity--don't stifle that. If they get to a stage where they "don't like" reading all the sudden, find out why. My brother LOVED being read to and making up stories about the pictures, telling stories about drawings he made...but he hated having to read to himself--ends up he has a form of dyslexia.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• cont...

For dicipline...reinforce positive behavior as often as possible, first. Then worry about punishment/restitution for bad behavior. When it comes to making and enforcing rules, be consistent. As far as exact "punishment", it depends on the age of the child and the behavior. Personally, I praise good behavior, ignore minor infractions, other than a quick "no" taking away the temptation and save time out for tantrums--but my daughter is 18 mos... Personally, I don't believe in spanking as a punishment until they are old enough to acknowledge their wrong doing, and only as a last resort...as a child that was spanked alot, its too easy--and its not that much of a deterrent from doing it again.
    thalassa