Tattoos while breastfeeding?

Other than the normal risk for Hep A/B/C and HIV...is there any concern about getting a tattoo while breastfeeding?

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 12:52 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Many, if not most, professional tattooists will not tattoo a woman who is currently pregnant or breastfeeding. World-reknowned tattoo artist Pat Fish of Santa Barbara, California, USA says:
    There is always an element of risk in getting a tattoo. The tattoo could have an adverse effect on the mother’s immune system that could be transmitted to the baby.

While the body is healing after a tattoo—and producing milk—and if the mother’s body would "reject" the tattoo, the possibility exists that it could harm the baby. This is especially a problem if the client does not follow the aftercare instructions and develops an infection. Alex Stewart of a former natural parenting Web site in the UK suggests that mothers give their bodies 18 months to fully recover from childbirth before asking it to heal a tattoo.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• no, just infection risk I believe
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Not unless you're tattooing a nipple or something... you'll have a wound that needs to heal, but that's about it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:53 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• nope, those are the only risks.

LOL at Linda's comment though ;o) great point and OMG props to any woman that has that one done!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:06 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Ditto what everyone else said. And I will also add I had my last one done while BFing my youngest.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2010