Does your dog do this? adult content

Every dog I've had in the past that I would take for walks always had to stop and pee in every yard and poop in every few. My dog that I have now, she'll sniff a little bit but she won't do her business. She'll only go in our backyard. It's just so strange (and funny) to me to see a dog being so picky. But hey at least I'm not having to pick up after her, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Pets

• We have a dog that will only go if none is watching him or if my husband takes him for the walk.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 12:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• my dog will not poop in my yard if he knows we are going for a walk. It usually takes him about half a block before he wants to poop. Every stinkin time, he will poop somewhere else and I'll have to pick it up! Sometimes I will try and get him out into the country ( I live in a very rural area) so I don't have to clean it up, but it is a given that he will poop on every walk, no matter what time of day or if he has just gone in my yard.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 1:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Some are like that. My dog won't poop in our yard unless he absolutely has to. Most of the time, I have to walk him down the street to an empty lot.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• oh my goodness!! lol...all my dogs my whole life with pee and poop within 5 minutes of going for a walk.......but.......my golden retriever will NOT pee or poop in public!! we could, and sometimes have been gone for HOURS!!!!!!!!! and he willllll not go!!!!!!!! it drives me crazy!! i feel so bad for him...lol...and yet as soon as we get home, he goes running to do his business! LOL i dont understand!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• and it kinda scares me, because im planning a vacation (not for a couple years..lol..but still..) and when we do go, im gonna have to put him in a kennell..and.....i dont know what hes gonna do...LOL if he wont pee and poo with me, i surely dont think he will with strangers!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My old man will NOT go anywhere unless it's his own yard and it's a certain spot in the yard. Then he also wont go if he thinks somebody is watching him. He's the only pup that I've had that has ever done this. I can't take him anywhere for any lenght of time because he WILL NOT go.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We have a dog that will not go if she is on a leash, it is so annoying. On the other hand nice to know when we take her out for walks in the park she will not go so no clean up, but the second that her leash is off she runs, stops and goes.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 12:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My dog prefer to do their business in the yard. On walks they will always pee (not every few feet- thats marking)
    but rarely will poop, my big boy does poop on walks occasionally but he has a nervous belly.

My girl wont even go poop if we or her brother dog are out in the yard.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 6:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• A lot of it depends on the dog. Dogs that pee in other yards are markers. It is basically "lifting their leg" and claiming their territory: "I was here." Most people attribute this to intact male dogs, but it can be a perfectly normal behavior. Other dogs simply don't care. They do their business and are done with it. They know where their bathroom is and don't see a need to go anywhere else.

The only time you need to worry about it is if you have a dog that doesn't do it, but starts peeing everywhere, or if your dog that pees everywhere increases frequency, doesn't squat/lift leg to pee (but pees anyway - aka seems unaware of the urination), or has any other changes in habits. That is when you need to see a vet. =)
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Juggalette, I had a dog like that. She was very self-conscious and hated to have anyone watch her.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010