What are your best ideas on keeping a 5 yr picky eater free of constipation?

My son will be 6 in Oct. and he has been extremely picky and it has affected his bowels to the point where he was walking in an odd manner. I took him to the DR. to make sure he didn't have a pulled muscle or something, well it turned out his bowels were so backed up it was causing him to walk in an odd way.
She said to stay away from apple juice because of the pectin, it is a binder..and to use benefiber in whatever I can get him to eat or drink. So I do make alot of benefiber brownies and use it in his drinks...but he still has hard stools. What else can I do?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you should limit dairy and maybe talk to your doctor about doing a once daily does of laxative. i give my daughter 2 teaspoons of miralax ever day and that is the only thing that completely gets rid of her constipation. she is supper picky also and so it is hard to get her to eat much fiber. and he may not like veggies or fruit much but have you tried breads with veggies or fruit in them. banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread and there are many others.

happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• prune juice
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 1:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Forgot to tell you about the best thing for the stomach: probiotics. Thanks tangyh for reminding me. Here is the best (read the reviews if you don't believe me): http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Primadophilus-Children-for-Ages-0-5

icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 1:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I've been making this great smoothie recently, just as something different for breakfast. It has wheat germ ( I use the wheat germ in places of flaxseed) and rolled oats and some other stuff in it. It's REALLY good - both I and DS (7) love it. Maybe you can get this into him and alter the flavors every now and then. ..Worth a try. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Razzy-Blue-Smoothie/Detail.aspx

Will he eat muffins? You can make muffins that have wheat bran in them.

Snacks
    Celery with PB
    Fresh veggies with ranch or veggie dip or hummus

Do he like spaghetti and meatballs? Whole wheat pastas

And have him drink more water!

LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:25 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My DIL gives my grandson V8 fusion it seems to help him
    valkay

Answer by valkay at 1:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• will he drink a smoothie? My son loves smoothies. I use either rice milk, milk, or kefir with fresh or frozen fruit and I put ground flaxseed in there, too. 2 tbsp of flax mixed in with fruit is pretty much tasteless and packs a lot of fiber and is pretty much guaranteed to produce a poop! I think the active cultures in kefir help as well.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 1:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• UGHHH!! he is too fussy for smoothies or prune juice and the v8splash has worked but he doesn't always like it
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I know strawberries are good for fiber and when he saw them in the fridge and ate quite a bit of them I was shocked!! he ate fruit! lol! He loves toast so i give him toast with "extra fiber bread" and he is ok with that since we never have white bread around anyway
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• These are great ideas but he will not eat veggies of any kind...but the spaghetti with whole wheat would be good.
    Muffins have to be certain types (like blueberry) and I could add benefiber to the mix before baking.
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• fresh fruit.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2010