• In the Spotlight:

is it ok to give your one and half month old rice cereal?

it seemed she wasnt being satisfied with formula so i added a little rice and she seems to be fine

mommynbabygirl

Asked by mommynbabygirl at 7:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no its not fine, you are causing tons of problems down the rode. Like food allergies, contsipation, Irritable Bowel Sydrome, and Diabetes
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I completely agree with the cloud144. Don't forget that everytime you are giving your child something besides formula / breastmilk you are taking away from their nutritional need. Not to mention the atrocities of feeding a child cereal through a bottle.  Feeding your child cereal at this age is wrong on so many levels.  If baby is hungry feed baby more food, do not add useless junk in place of their needed nutrition.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• No youneed to wait until she's atleast 4 months old...She's too young right now.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Not unless you Pedi says too. Their bodies are not ready. 4mths is the earlies and most pedi's recommend waiting until 6mths
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• No ma'am. They cannot handle it... Just because she eats it, doesnt mean she wants it, or needs it. Wait til at least 4 months, preferably 6 mos. Good luck.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My sons doc had me put it in his at 2 months because he had reflux and she thought it would help keep his food down because is sticks to their stomachs better. and they also stay full longer he could only eat 2 oz at a time at 2 months old she told me to give him 1 teaspoon for every 2 oz. if your pedi didnt tell you to do it then i would say dont i was not sure about doing it for my son until i asked 2 more docs. so i would say give her more formula more often like if she eats 4 oz every 4 hours try to feed her a couple oz in-between. and ask your pedi before you put it in her bottle again.
    Anonymous

• No, it's not okay - not without asking your pediatrician first. A young baby's digestive system is not equipped to handle solids at this age.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it. My son was on Oatmeal cereal when he was just about 2 months. Reflux was his problem but I haven't had any problems with him and he has no allergies nor is he "fat". He also, didn't choke. If you exercise alittle common sense than you won't have any problems. Don't worry.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 9:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My daughters ped told me to start giving her cereal in her bottle at about 2 months, maybe earlier. She never had constipation, although too much iron can do that, if you're using formula it might be too much iron. She is in the 4th percentile for her weight (part of the reason the ped wanted cereal introduced in the first place) so she's not overweight, and she doesn't have food allergies. As far as the ANONYMOUS pp above me, parents do care what happen to their children and don't just behave recklessly. You have done it once and looked watched for reactions. I know you're not going to sit and let your baby choke or keep giving it to her if she is having some kind of reaction, so trust your instincts and talk to your ped about what you are doing and how your little one is reacting.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i dont see anything wrong with it my daughter has been taking rice cereal since she was about 3wks old and she is now 5 months and eating baby carrots baby food she is in the top 50 percentile for her age group on her weight so if u fell it necessary then go for it but just watch how much u put in formula i only used about a tablespoon util she was about 3 months old then i did about 2oz so good luck
    blue_eyes11

Answer by blue_eyes11 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2008