How can I get my 2.5 year old to stop nursing at night? I need a plan!

My daughter and I co-sleep. She nurses before nap and bedtime...and throughout the night. She probably wakes up 5 times most nights and it's making me crazy. I'm ready to be done nursing. I know it's been good for her, but now I can't figure out the best way to eliminate the nighttime feedings and eventually wean her completely. She gets so upset when she can't have milky. During the day I can reason with her and she understands that we will do that at nap time or whatever. In the middle of the night she cries so hard and screams and reaches for me and it breaks my heart. I'm so tired and don't want to be awake anymore than she does, so I do it. I know I'm not doing her any favors in the long run because it seems like she doesn't know how to put herself back to sleep, although sometimes she will. I've tried special loveys and pacifiers and water cups, but she's not interested in all that. She just wants to nurse!

specialk16

Asked by specialk16 at 2:05 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just say no!! It would also help if she slept in her own bed I am sure. My kids stopped eating at night around the same time they doubled their birth-weight so IDK what else to tell ya

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• no offense but thats why i thought a year was enough ... the child might be walking at a year and said first word.... however it would be easier to ween. if i was in your situation i would stop co sleeping with her. get her her own bedroom if that was possible and that could eliminate a lot of the issue. kids do what they knows works so of course she does the screaming and crying. any way to nip it in the butt would be good... but yea i dont know. good for you i wanted to breast feed but it unfortunately id not work out for me... :|

breast feeding was so nice
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• are you still breast-feeding your child? if so stop or give her a bottle.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 2:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• she's two, so you can have a sippy full of water at bed side. That way when she wakes up thirsty, which is normal, you can tell her to drink the water, don't give in.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i stopped at her 16months old she cried for 2dys but she started sleeping throughout the night it did hut me at first but u gotta let her know your done
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Many people don't understand extended breastfeeding here in the US, have you tried seeking advice in a breastfeeding group over general questions ?

They may be able to help more.

I can see why that would be exhausting on you.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:52 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Don't listen to those people who don't understand why you are doing what is totally normal (having a breastfeeding 2 yr old in bed with you).

I have the article that you must read!!! Changing The Sleep Pattern In The Family Bed

More great tips at Setting Limits on Nighttime Nursing

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010