If I start clomid, what are the procedures following that, someone told me ultrasounds and weekly drs visits , is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• They never actually had to prescribe it to me but we talked about it. If I had they were going to give me a pill to make me have my period and then 14 days later take the clomid and then begin ovulation predictor kits. 14 days later a blood and urine test at the office for pregnancy. Then repeat as necessary. I'm sure every office is different.

When we were discussing it I was TTC and my cycles had gotten to where they were 35-40 days and they suspected I was not ovulating. I was instructed to take use the OPK from the end of one cycle to the beginning of the next. If I got no pos. they would do blood work to confirm and then start the clomid. I ended up getting a pos OPK ad we decided to go for it. Low and behold I got PG.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i was on clomid for 3 months and only went to the doc once in that time, and i didnt have a ultrasound until i was on famera. good luck!
    EstherShafe

Answer by EstherShafe at 2:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Depends on the Dr. Some will have you come in for ultrasounds and some won't. Mine does not. The only thing I go back for is a blood draw on day 21 of my cycle.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I had day 21 blood test for progesterone to monitor for ovulation, and then repeat every other day (total of 3 tests per cycle for me) until the doc saw that my body was actually responding to the clomid. Any doc that just hands you a bunch of refills and doesn't actually monitor the effects (typically via ultrasound or more commonly the day 21 blood test) of clomid is not following the drug manufacturer's recommendations, and I'd highly recommend going for a second opinion.

Good luck!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Oh, and fwiw, I got pregnant my 2nd cycle of clomid (50 mg the first cycle, 100mg the second). And my sister got pregnant her first cycle. I'd highly recommend also reading the book 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' to help identify when you're ovulating. Both cycles I ovulated late, the first I didn't know because I wasn't tracking BBT, but the second cycle I was charting and ended up pregnant. I now have an almost 19 month old.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010