Banging Head?

Recently my son (23 months) has taken to beating his head on things when he doesn't get his way, it is really started to bother me. I am wondering if any of you mama's have ever dealt with this? and what should I do, I usually redirect his and tell him we do not hit our heads you will hurt yourself. He does this several times a day even when he is bored, and I keep him busy! My friend suggested I take him to a neurologist and get him checked.

iainsmommy

Asked by iainsmommy at 3:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Normal childhood way of showing frustration & boredom. Keep redirecting him, he'll grow out of it.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 3:39 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• my son has been doing this for a couple months now and is 19 months now. He does it when he is bored, tired, or frustrated. A lot of times its when he doesn't get his way though. It bothers me when I see him doing it, b/c i know he can get hurt, but its nothing something I am gonna take him to the dr over. He has no signs of anything wrong with him, just that he is frustrated. When he does it, I try to let him do it without making a big deal unless he is gonna hurt himself, then I pick him up and hug him and ask him whats wrong. He can talk a little, so it helps when I ask him this, he usually can point to a lot of what he is trying to do or need when he is like this. Just keep tlaking to your lil one about his needs and why he is upset. I know it hard for you momma but it will soon pass too as many other phases have passed.

Hang in there.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son used to do it all the time. He's 23 months now and has finally stopped -- now he just throws his entire body on the floor. =) We started just ignoring him (unless it looked like he was going to hurt himself) and he stopped. He just did it for attention.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• lol, I don't think a trip tp a doctor is going to cure this one. My son did the same thing and he eventually stopped. He would do it when he didn't get his way or if we put im into time-out. I started out putting him into his crib but he just hit his head on the bars. I eventually just ignored him and he eventually stopped. I also noticed that he did it when he didn't have my full attention.

He will grow out of it and he won't hit his head enough to hurt himself. Yeah it's going to be hard but just ignore him.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 2:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Thanks ladies that relieves a lot of worries!!!!! :0)
    iainsmommy

Comment by iainsmommy (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2010