Are you a married mother but feel like a single mother?

What do you do to help make the time easier without your partner?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• My mom always said that when she was working full time and my dad was home with us (after he had his 3rd stroke and was disabled). She said she changed her mind when he died. She realized that even when they don't help much they are still a stabilizing force in the household. After he died and we moved to be closer to her family our household kinda fell apart. She couldn't manage three teenagers and a full time job that kept her away from home during the hours we were out of school. It was really, really hard on her.

I think that a lot of women feel that way, and they need to talk to their partners about it and strike a compromise that gets them more help with whatever they need help with. But I also think that even though it might FEEL like you're a single mom... it's still important to recognize the things your hubby DOES do to help out already.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I've heard many women say that. And I think I can understand where they are coming from. But since I was a single mother before being married, I know there is a big difference. And I don't think I could ever feel that way. As long as my husband is financially, physically, and emotionally providing the best he can, I could never feel like a single mother again.

During the times my husband is away, at work, I make the time easier by reminding myself the separation is temporary and he will be back soon.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i agree with the first mom. my husband tries his best. but working hours arent any easier on him than they are on me n my daughter. he hardly goes anywhere by himself thats not work, like out with guys n stuff, he'll have a guys night like every month or 2 and i encourage him to go because he works 12 hour shifts. he tries to spend as much time with us as he can, but a man's gotta sleep too. so its mostly me and my daughter. i feel like a single mom but i stay at home too. i wish he could spend more time at home but so does he. its just not possible right now although we both wish it were.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• oh and i make use of my time doing what i must at home or spending the day with my daughter either out or at home.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I was a single woman I am not married now but in a relationship and sometimes feel single as far as my goals but its okay it keeps me on my toes. You should develop a routine for when your DH is there and for when you are alone and make it so you spend that time taking care of yourself and making it a time where you do all of the things for you so when your with your DH he can see your happy and well rounded with him and while he is gone. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Hubby is in the navy and can be gone for 6 months at a time or more so technically during those times I am a single mom. I just keep very very busy
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• When my DH was in the army I did. He was gone a lot. I just went abouyt my days like I always did. Minus my DH being their.

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My S/O was in the Marines for the first 4 years of our marriage, I saw him a total of about 6 months in those 4 years. So years, I felt like it, and I was it. But when he was on leave and as soon as he was discharged, he turned into a good Dad, and then I was ok.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• sometimes, but our child hasn't been born yet lol... (i.e. i feel like a single parent to my husband at times). i'm confident he will be a great dad - he is very responsible when he needs to be.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I felt like a single parent my whole marriage. DH worked afternoons and I worked days. It was really hard going to all my kids activities by myself. I used to feel so lonely when I'd see my neighbors, both parents, doing family things together. I guess I just kept myself busier than busy and sometimes cried myself to sleep. I feel for you...hang in there.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010