Were you anti preschool, but then changed your mind?

Did anyone help change your mind? Are you still anti preschool with your 3 and 4 year old? Do you think moms that have there kids in preschool are lazy?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:57 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am actually pro-preschool. As a teacher I realize the importance of setting a good foundation that a good, quality preschool can set. There are some things kids learn that parents can't teach. Such as:Listening to other adults beside family or friends, following simple directions, sitting for longer than 2 min, and socialization.

My son has attended preschool since before he was 3. It was at the time 2 days/weeek for only 5 hours/week. I still taught him all his colors, letters, numbers, how to write his name, how to write all his letters and some of his numbers, spell his name, and now we are working on spelling simple words and learning to read. He is only 4 years old. He has really developed a love of learning through preschool. He is more than ready for kindergarten.

As a working parent...I did all this. If working parents are lazy...then 75% of son's private preschool parents are lazy. sarcasm
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have always been pro preschool but we couldn't afford it.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I used to be anti-preschool because I thought it was a waste of money, but I ended up sending my oldest for the social aspect. It was the best thing I could have done for him. He absolutely loved it! He was always sad on days he didn't have preschool BTW, I'M the one who taught him his colors and how to tie his shoes. Just because you send them to preschool doesn't mean you don't have to work with them at home. I would hope most children know their colors before preschool age!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:06 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm anti preschool unless both parents work or the child needs help before starting kindergarten or single mom's. I personally would want to be the one teaching my child about colors and how to count and tie her shoes, but that's just me. I respect other's parenting views.

I agree with this poster:) I will addd that for there are some kids that LOVE the social setting of school and really thrive tehre and its a good setting for them. Me, I am happy to have the time with my kids and for them to stay home.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm not anti preschool. I have two issues... one it costs money that I don't have, two I'm a SAHM so what it wrong with my teaching him. I have a little classroom in my basement and we do school everyday. He's ready for kindergarten academically. I was worried about the whole listen to the teacher thing and being around 30 kids, but he surprised me when he participated in SafetyTown... Fifty kids in his session and he was fine, he loved it and can't wait to start school. I don't like the weird looks and comments I get from people when they ask "what preschool did he go to?" and I tell them he didn't go.... you'd think I had kept the kid in a cage for 5 years from their reactions.... The fact that his brothers are graduating high school this year and next, means I didn't do that bad of a job the first couple times!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2010