I think I'm starting labor... how long should I let my hubby sleep?

Alright, ladies, funny question for you! It's 4:00 AM. My husband went to bed just over 2 hours ago lol. He stayed up WAAAYYYY too late playing World of Warcraft. If it's labor, it's early labor. How long should I let him sleep? Should I be mean and make him get up (ultimately screwing myself if the labor is long) or should I let him be and just call to let the midwife know and let him catch a few more winks before I wake his ass up? :p

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 7:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Louise, I was 9 1/2 cm dilated and had the urge to push with my 2nd and my doctor still had to break my water. Thats why you go by how far apart contractions are and not if your water breaks.

As for your question Ati, I'd let him sleep until you were having more pain. They always handle stuff better when they get more sleep and he'll be of more help to you. Good luck!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• If your water has not broken, do not wake him. Call your midwife and tell her/him what is happening.

Answer by louise2 at 7:19 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My water could not break until birth is imminent, silly lol. I'm not gonna rely on that as a sign :p
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Louise, my water never broke on it's own and I was VERY far into labor. I would let you hubby sleep or he'll make labor at the hospital even worse for you. What are your contractions like. How long, how far apart?
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Oh, btw I have 4 kids, if that makes you respect my advice any more.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Louise, I'm a childbirth educator and a doula. Sometimes the water NEVER breaks (en caul birth). The water is DESIGNED to break later in labor so the baby has a cushion for most of it. I'm not talking about going to the ER or doctor, I'm having a home birth and I'm not all worked up, I just don't know if I want my midwife to know I'm in labor before my husband does lol.

Jreneei, they're 5 minutes apart lasting just under a minute. They definately feel like labor contractions and they've been pretty consistant for an hour.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 7:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Eeek, how exciting for you! Maybe wait till they're about 3 -4 minutes apart if you can stand it. I know with my first I wanted to get the hospital ASAP. lol.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My doc always told me to wait until they were 3-4 minutes apart. I would let him sleep till then or till the pain gets to where you can't handle it alone however I would call your midwife now to let her know that your labor has started.

Good luck & congratulations!!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Ya wake his ass up! lol Do wht you need to do and good luck with it all...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I just know I did not have my kids tell my water broke. If you want him to be the first to know you are in labor. Wake him up. Then he can go back to sleep tell you are ready to have the kid.

Answer by louise2 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010