I'm lonely.

I know a few people where I live, but I wouldn't consider any of them friends. Nothing clicked when I met them or when I talk to them, and I don't really do anything with them (I'm not invited to things). My Dh ignores me even when he's home and most the time he's at work anyway. I don't have family that live close. I've tried to do playdates, but they never last long... maybe the mom's don't like me?
What do you do to keep from being lonely.

I'm a SAHM with one child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Health

• When my girls were little I would take them to the local libraries and bookstores - there are several around our town and each one has a "story time" (different times and days). Some of the libraries also did age appropriate crafts. The best part is it's free! Sometimes other moms will react a little better if your child is the one that approaches her and her child. Maybe they are worried that if they become friendly with you and your kids don't "click" then it won't work out. But if the kids hit off well from the start, then the moms can work in a conversation based on that.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 9:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• try meetup.com and type in where you live. You can join mom groups or walking groups or a book club just type in your interests. Keep working at it, you have to be a good friend and put in the effort as well. I've moved 3 times in 5 years and it took me about 2 years to finally feel like that new place is home. If you go do something fun with your child just call up or invite someone to join you. I met some moms that have become my friends at the gym and at some of my kids classes like dance, gymnastics and soccer.
    People like to talk about themselves so ask questions and find about them and what they do for fun, ect. Good Luck I know how hard it is!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Im having the same issue. I currently am a sahm to and a military wife so we move often. Where were stationed now there arent the type of moms around here that i like. Most of the wives are older and seem to be shocked when the see younger ppl such as my self married with kids. Since ive been here (april) ive met one girl that was ok but we didnt really click. I wouldn't say they dont like u they just might not be the same type of person that you are. Or sometimes ppl dont like us due to jealous.
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 8:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yea im with newmommy it seems like they may feel your a threat to them. Maybe by the way you look or act. But dont worry about it youll figure out some way to make a friend and keep it. May be go to church if thats something youll do theres always one friend there that youll be compatible with. Or try to join a parent group in your area look around the area for one. Dont sweat it you always have a friend on here to talk to when you have a chance youll get used to it eventially im sure.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 8:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Take classes, -the Y or college may have something you'd like, or sometimes libraries or crafts stores do. Become active in a religious organization if you aren't already. This may be a good time to explore your inner feelings. Become active in charitable or service organizations. You'll meet people with similar interests in those. Since you have self-doubt, and it may not be anything wrong with you at all, but since you have the doubt, think what you like about other people and see if you can adjust your behavior a bit to be more like that. If someone who has a ready smile appeals to you, then smile a bit more- like that.You don't want to seem desperate when you are on the verge of making friends, and you don't want to act too quickly. If you meet a mom on the playground, see what she is like after several meetings, then suggest you get some coffee or lunch at a fast food place, and listen to her. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I went through a horrible lonely spell, it was awful so I feel for you! There are a few suggestions...if you take classes at a gym and go at the same time you will start to know the people. Also since you have a child you could take them to the local parks. For example we have a sprinkler park for the kids that is free. I take the kids and I often times see the same parents. I am really shy but many mothers are looking for someone to relate to (mother with kids) so often mothers will start conversations with me about our kids. Also you could join a group you have interests in. For example if you like plays you could try out for the community theater. Take classes WITH your child; take a gym tumbling class with him or her. Another idea is...why not host a get together with some mothers that you would like to get to know better. You can have a luncheon or a simple BBQ, kids welcome even though its for the adults.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Are there any parks where you live? I find that many people take their kids to the park and someone needs to supervise them, and you never know who you'll strike up a conversation with there. Most of the people are friendly too since they are out enjoying the day too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2010