Were your civil rights up for a vote?

I would assume most of you would say no, then why is it ok for gays to have theirs up for a vote?Do those of you who oppose them not see the discrimination? What difference is there between you and the gay population other than the obvious sexual orientation?

Asked by older at 10:06 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I am a Christian and can't help but notice what the bible says is God's view on gay relationships.

But................ A government isn't supposed to have biblical views right? Especially now days. So I don't feel they should put laws discriminating against gay people. I think they're supposed to be there for people's rights. Whatever they are. Right? I don't agree with alot of different groups of people's thinking. But they have the right to do as they wish as long as it does not negatively affect others. At least this is my understanding of our ever changing USA............ But who knows anymore:(

Oh, and isn't the gov all about equality? Equal rights to college, spreading the wealth, women and men equality, racial, ......why not the gay community? I don't understand why they're so open to everything else but this?
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 5:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think those that oppose gay rights 100% know that what they are doing is discrimination and they could care less. All they care about is their own comfort level no matter who it oppresses.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Those who are opposed most likely do not see it as discrimination because they view that homosexuality is wrong. Many people feel that is goes against their religion and therefore is not correct.

And I have no problem with people'ssexual orientation, so don't blast my comment. I just know how some of my friends feel.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Can you imagine if everyone had to get the majority's approval for their marriages?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Same sex marriage is not a given as marriage between a man and woman is. It wasn't accepted for years until someone just decided they needed to start fighting for it because they happened to think it should be a right. It's still not accepted by most and just because some think it should be a civil right doesn't make it so. I think it's wrong for one man to negate the votes of a majority of people who voted(7 million) just because they happened to be voting for something he believed. Why vote at all? If this can happen on this issue it can happen on any issue. I say when the people vote the decision is final.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Marriage is a privilege, so what the gays are wanting is the privilege extended to them. And I support it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:00 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I do not understand gay marriage, so for that I plead the fifth. I think a marriage is between a man and a woman. I do vote every time I can for all sorts of things that are up for citizen to vote on. I think the matter of same sex marriage should be left to the individual states to decide, and by the majority vote should decide if it a yea or a nay to what the citizens of each State to decide. I hope this is the answer you were looking for. Good luck if you are a hoping to have a same sex marriage.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 10:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No, of course not. Equality should never be voted in. Because it's generally the oppressors which are voting... Of course in this it's a little different. But Rights are just that - RIGHTS! They should simply be given, expected and accepted. NO ONE should have the right, or the chance, to vote out someone else's rights - PERIOD!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It's discrimination, plain and simple. Unfortunately, the opposition to gay marriage has a lot of money behind it - that's why it's always up for debate.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I agree scuba.

many faith groups want their cake and eat it too. They enjoy the tax exempt status that separation of church and state provided, yet are all too willing to throw money at politically involved issues when it suits their agenda. Talk about double dipping and conflict of interest.

1 man's beliefs should never negate another man's civil rights. You do not believe in marriage, do not have one. The only choice you have is your own. Stop trying to usurp others' choices.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010