Dog & Baby

I have a four 1/2 year old German Shepherd and while she's really good around my nieces and nephews, they eventually go home. I'm pregnant with my first child and I'm concerned about how she will react with a new baby in the house around the clock. Any suggestions on how to get her used to the new baby?

MummoloMom2010

Asked by MummoloMom2010 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well let the dog sniff the baby and get the babys sent. thats what i did with the dog i have and she protected the baby this was 2 yrs ago
    mommys_boys2010

Answer by mommys_boys2010 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• don't leave them unsupervised together.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Chances are if the dog is used to kids in any way then things will be fine!! We have a pit bull ,yes I know, they are supposedly horrible dogs, but hes awesome! We were concerned about him being jealous but he wasnt at all!! He basically adopted her and became her protector. he would sleep by her bassinet and bouncey seat all the time. Try having someone bring home a recieving blanket from the hospital that the baby was wrapped in and let him get a good scent of it before the baby comes home. I dont think you have anything to worry about. its honestly not as big of an adjustment as you would think.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I was worried about the same thing with my 2 bostons but when we brought her home from the hospital we held them so they could sniff her and now they are protective of her noone can hold her unless they are watching you and they are always laying by her bed or her bouncer and all that. Try the sniffing first you never know.
    Stowell09

Answer by Stowell09 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Thanks so much ladies!
    MummoloMom2010

Comment by MummoloMom2010 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2010