For those who cosleep

My oldest is almost 2. Well he has always slept in his own bed. In the last couple months though he has been having trouble sleeping, not that he was ever an all night sleeper. We know the main issue is his dad working speratic times, being gone for days to weeks. Well, he still takes a bottle and as soon as the 10 month old looses the bottle so will the oldest, it will be way harder a transition for him than the baby. Times when one of us sleep with him in his bed, or in the guest bed or in our bed he sleeps better. As in he doesn't want more milk in the middle of the night. I guess my question is, if I start allowing him to sleep with us more regularly especially when the bottle goes how big of a problem will I create? I know replacing one habbit with another isn't the answer, but I'm also trying to think what is best for him while his life is a bit chaotic with dad being here and gone. I'm a SAHM also. Suggestions?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 10:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I co sleep and have with all 3 of my kids. We got the 2 older ones in their own beds when they were 4 and 3, the baby is still in bed with us. I think you will have an even harder time getting him to stay in his own bed once you decide to put him back in it if you start to co sleep now. You might try letting him sleep in your room, a pallet or mattress, even his bed in your room if you have the space. But if you are not planning on co sleeping for a long time then I wouldn't start now. Maybe try different things to make sure he is good and tired before bed, my middle child has a ton of energy and if we don't make sure she is worn out she will end up in our bed at night. Also make sure he isn't having some other issue, scared of the dark? feeling like he isn't getting enough attention from you because of the baby? If nothing else works then put him in bed with you. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Honestly...my son slept with me from birth until age 5. And only because I was single and had only one room. When we moved to where he had his own room, he slept fine. But, he was already 5. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Our boys are 3 & 4 and we are just now putting them in their own room/bed. Until now they have always slept with us. My youngest is having a small issue because he has horrid nightmares, but really, there isn't any big issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• The only problem it will create is a child who wants to sleep with his mommy, and i don't see that as a problem. My oldest co-slept with me for the longest time. I finally got them to their own beds, on a regular basis, about a year ago. There is nothing wrong with it, and if he sleeps better then it's better for everyone. Don't worry about what anyone says, if it makes everyone happier, go for it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We loved having a family bed. We all slept quite well.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I don't mind him in bed with me, now that I don't worry about him falling out LOL I'm just trying to do what is right for my house hold. I can't have him screaming once or twice or even 3x a night, waking his brother. Something has to change.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2010