Love one another?

How do you do at following this commandment?
How about serve one another?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do pretty well with that commandment.

Answer by older at 7:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• There are so many different kinds of love. All the kinds of love in the English language are expressed by this one word. (yet another fail for English lol)
    “Love” in the Hebrew is expressed by a variety of words:
    Dodim an impulse of heart, sexual attraction
    Hamed desire, covet, lust
    ‘Agav impure love, doting, lust
    Re’a Companionship, friendship
    Hesed mercy and compassion
    Hasheq Strong attachment
    Ahav desire, inclination or affection, whether human or divine

“Love” in the Greek, is expressed five distinct words:
    Desire – Attraction (epithumia)
    Longing – Romance (eros)
    Belonging – Affection (storge)
    Cherishing – Friendship (phile)
    Selfless Giving or 'Christian' Love (agape)

Based on this yes I can say I try very hard to have one kind of love or another for all people.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• For me, it's not a commandment, but I do generally follow some for of that, yes. I don't quite go so far as to "love" one another, but I do my best to accept and tolerate even those I don't generally agree with. As a whole I love the human race, I just have a little more trouble with it comes to individuals. However, as I stated, I'm not under this or any other commandment by my beliefs, I simply live by a general "do not harm" rule and an understanding in how energy attraction works.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Love is a strong word and shouldnt be thrown around casually I love my family :)
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Lov is a condition. It is upon agreement. One cannot even merely hug another 'one' with not having granted permission, and that refusal is a right, yes even a said hug is conditional. Random love is not included it could lead to a gamut of hurt feelings and a dominated vs. the ''lower half''.
    Just for having fun, love isn't a factor., For many in a development or community love is a gift to give. A prepared meal. A wrapped gift.
    Someone visiting an elderly person is love.
    Having a strong worship relationship with God in a committed (or general) communication type of prayer, or talk, is love.
    Being strong when we feel ''down'', is worth the effort and it helps us to be thankful. That is love for yourself.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Love--like faith--is an emotion that cannot be willed into being. You can't just say that you're going to love that sour, crotchety neighbor next door and, voila, it happens. Love either is...or it isn't. You can treat others in a loving and gentle manner, when they're in trouble and need someone to help them, but it doesn't mean that you love them. Caring about humanity is a pale reflection of caring about your family. It's knowing that we are all we have and we have to be there for one another. Humans cannot love their enemies--even Jesus didn't do that, often calling those around him "fools" and "a generation of vipers". We can only treat them as we would wish to be treated and hope that they will reciprocate. And we must be ready to fight them if they don't.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Even if feel no affection for you 'crotchety old neighbor' would you be willing to help him in a time of need? If you found out his only child had died you would you feel for him? If he died would you feel for his family and friends? That is Love. All of that is love. Not the same as you have for your family but it is Love.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• If someone dies, and it's a older person, (or their child) you must decide that upon your heart.
    It goes way past someone else's standard or definition, and sometimes when we pray about things first God will give us the right direction to take in those touchy times. That one may not want anyone around them for months, depending on how open they are for any help. Usually they are reaching out and no one has to try. ( to rescue them, console. )
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:39 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I dont believe in it as a commandment but as a good way to be with your fellow man.

I try daily to be a good person and help wherever I can. I wont say I love everyone because I dont and I dont think you should have to. But tolerance and acceptance of differences goes a long ways imho and thats what I strive for.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Tolerance, acceptance,offering help and empathy for mankind are forms of love.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Aug. 8, 2010