why kidsnever listen to us

catowls

Asked by catowls at 11:22 AM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Because they think the know everything and know better than adults. Get used to this attitude, as they will have it untill they are about 30 years old.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Mine do, but then I figured out if I either give them directions in a whisper or very quiet voice, they have to listen to what I'm saying.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• because people dont raise their children the way they should which causes the child to grow up as an unruly bas+ard (not directed towards any one!)
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It doesn't have to be this way. It you have used punishments (time-outs, grounding, spanking, taking things away, ect) you can expect your teens to reject you. It's a normal reaction to having been treated in a punitive way. Children that have been raised using an authoritative parenting style can expect to have a maintain a good relationship with their children.

It may not be too late. You can try reading How to Talk So Kids Will Listen. You may be able to find parenting classes in your community like STEP (Systematic Training for Effective Parenting).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Because they KNOW EVERYTHING!! You have to stand your ground and try not to take it personally.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• They believe they know everything. Then ontop of that thing you couldn't possibly understand what they're going through. Then ontop of that think they they know best.. When we know they don't know better, they don't know it all, and we know everything they're going through.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Is it just your kids? Because my husband never listens to me. So you got it good sista if it is just the kids.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Well, part of it goes with being a teenager. However, when you have a mom like mine (who was raised VERY sheltered and naive), then teens tend not to listen b/c their parents are paranoid and have no idea wtf they're talking about. I love my parents, but I moved out @ 17 and never regretted it. I had a better head on my shoulders back then than either of my parents do to this day.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Actually, I think they listen more than we know or admit. The issue is whether or not they choose to act on what we say... That depends on a lot of things, ranging from the topic, to their hormones, to how much credibility we have with our kids (based on the relationship we established before they hit their teen yrs), etc.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• it's built into them why listen when you can get it yell or scream and yes we did to our parents pay backs our a bitch lol
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2010