they say my hcg level has gone down but i still feel pregnanct. my hormones r out of wack could i still b preg & just have a weird hcg level problem? has this ever happened to anyone else ? if so can u please help we REALLY want this baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Guideline to hCG levels during pregnancy:
    hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
    4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
    5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
    6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
    7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
    9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
    13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
    17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
    25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
    Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
    Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml

Just because your level has gone down does not mean you are no longer pregnant. Are your doctors concerned about a miscarriage?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Sorry, I did not really elaborate. I work in a lab, and as you can see by the chart, at 12 weeks your hormones peak and then decline, and finally even out.

The only reason I would see your decline in hormones as a problem is if you are before 12 weeks pregnant. We have girls come in on occasion whose doctors order a test for HCG level, and then request that they come back 72 hours later for a repeat. This is so they can see if the hormones are rising, as they should before 12 weeks pregnant, or declining, indicating a miscarriage or some other type of problem.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope I was able to help.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• You just posted the same question, with one extra detail stating that your current level as of 9-29 was an "8". This would indicate that you are 3 weeks pregnant. Is this the case? Or are you supposed to be further along?

If you are "supposed" to be further along, let me tell you a story....I had dated my pregnancy based off of the first day of my last period, which would have put me (at the time) at around 12 weeks. I had been on birthcontrol, and the BC had thrown off my ovulation cycle. So whereas I thought I was 12 weeks, I was actually 8. So unless your doctor indicates a problem, you should be fine.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2008