At what age did you start feeding your child solid foods?

And what foods did you start out with? I just dont think breastmilk is cutting it for him anymore!
Help please

TheTara

Asked by TheTara at 8:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Zach is BF also, but he wasn't ready for solids. I tried at 4 mos (at the doctors request) but he gagged too much. Then I didn't try again until 8 months. But I think most start at 6 months or so. It's all up to your baby, but I have read starting before 6 months brings up food allergy issues.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I started my twins at 6 months (they were 2 months early, so it was sort of like 4 months). I started them on baby cereal (rice or oatmeal) and, per the pedi's instruction, yellow fruits and veggies (bananas, squash, sweet potatoes, peaches, pears, applesauce, etc). A few weeks later, I started giving them greens and other fruits. I didn't start them on meats until they were 8 months old. Good luck!
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I tried at 6 months but he wasn't into it, my son didn't start eating solid foods regularly until around 9 months when he could eat table food.
    sixzilliondots

Answer by sixzilliondots at 9:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I was wondering the same thing! My daughter is 4 months and just this week i started rice cereal with her and now im wondering when to start jar foods. my friend told me that you should do veggies first because once they get a taste for fruit they wont want the veggies. I think once your baby is eating more cereal then they are spitting out then they can start on jar foods.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• With the jar foods it is easy to mix flavors together. When my son wouldn't eat something (like peas) i would mix a small amount of it with something he loved, then add more peas to the next bite, then more...etc. until he would be eating just peas.
    Also, my son ate rice cereal only 3 times. he hated it. i started feeding him jar food when he was about 4 months and he was fine- he didn't eat very much each day, though. He has been eating table foods since he was 8 months old. I feed him a fruit and veggie with every meal (except breakfast).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• 3 1/2 i started with rice cereal and then the next week was green beans and then every week after that was new foods starting with the green veggies and then on to the orange and then on to the fruit starting with applesauce
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I started my daughter on baby food at 3 1/2 or 4 months and I don't remember what I started with, to be honest. They say to go with vegetables first and to only introduce one food at a time. My daughter had cereal earlier than that in her bottles at the recommendation of her ped though. She's 3 now...no reactions or food allergies and she's actually in a low percentile for her weight.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Six months. But why don't you think it's working?

Please stop by the breastfeeding moms group and we can give you some help. You'd be amazed how many absolutely maddening things are compeltely normal. (Re-read the Mommy Contract; you signed away sanity!)

Answer by gdiamante at 10:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• my daughter is 5 months and the only baby food she will eat is carrots she has no interest for anything else right now at all she wont even eat the fruits which really surprises me because they say once babies have tased that sweeter tase they wont want the meats or veggies but like i said my daughter will only eat carrots u just have to be presistant about it and dont give up because it does get frusterating when u cant find what they like right away good luck
    blue_eyes11

Answer by blue_eyes11 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• 4 - 6 months infant rice or oatmeal cereal
    at 6 months one new veggie per week
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2008