English Major Here!!!

I am an English major but I am so fascinated by Journalism. I am going for my BA and for my teaching credentials, all in one. 2.5years to go. I am 18, have a baby, who is 8 months and run my own business. The issue with that is that I am really busy with school and all of the other daily tasks I have to take care of.

How do I get the experience I need to get a editing/copy right job after I am done with College? I don't want to major in journalism because I want to home school my son and as an English major I'd have a better plan B if journalism doesn't work out for me.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 1:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in

• Internship at a reputable company will get you the experience and then you can take it from there. Unless the college that you graduate from helps set you up with a company thar is impressed with you before you graduate. Either of these ways can help get you on your way. One may not pay that's the only drawback. some internships pay but not very well since they are looking for students they can teach "the ropes" of their companies business and then after a trial period will take you on full time if they see you work out.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• ***adding***
    My only real break is summer, because I only take 2 classes and for the first half of August I have nada to do. Once school starts I am constantly going :(
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think you could get a journalism job with the degree you have. Just keep an eye out for opportunities, and good luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Contact local newspapers, I would think.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010