My son is 5, and starts kindergarten tomarrow. Big thing... he will not going poop on the potty!

Going pee is OK. He runs to the bathroom, "I gotta pee". He just will NOT stop pooping in his pants. We have tried EVERYTHING! Charts, treats, specail places, take toys away, no tv/movies, no video games, no computer, no friends over. We keep telling him that friends will make fun of him if he goes poop in his pants at school. My husband and I are at the end of our wits with this. I don't know if his teacher will wipe him if I put a pullup on him. Ever since he was a baby, his poop has always been so stinky too. So, if he goes... you can smell it! Any advice? Think his teacher will help him wipe? If he goes in a pull up, it's all over and he won't be able to clean it up him self. I'm very worried about him tomarrow:( Oh... I forgot to mention he never went to pre-school. We live in a small town, and there was lack of class space for him. Was on a waiting list for over 2 years and never got in.
Thanks in advance for any help:)

mommystar77

Asked by mommystar77 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First of all, he's not going to get kicked out of school. No child of school age can be denied and education. Kids with problems far more severe then this attend public schools. This is actually a fairy common problem. The teacher won't wipe him. It's not appropriate. But he might be sent to school nurse for help. Many kids just hold it until they get home. They train themselves to go at night or in the morning. Or when the teacher or nurse tells him he has to do himself, he may just do it. Kids sometimes respond much better to other authority figures than mom and dad.

You should just be upfront with the teacher about it. She'll let you know what to do.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 4:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• They will probably send him home and ask you to keep him until he's potty trained.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I do not think that the teacher would or should wipe him. I honestly don't know what to tell you, other than to talk to his doctor.This is tough. Best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• And to add, the teacher really shouldn't have to interrupt class to change his diaper. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't know if I'd even ask for her to. Obviously discuss the issue with her so that she knows what to expect. If anyone would be able to help him, it would probably be the school nurse.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Of course his teacher won't - and shouldn't!!!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• He will either be sent home or call and tell you to bring him a pair of underwear and shorts or pants. If it happens all the time, you may be told to keep him home until he is completely potty trained. That's how it is around here anyway.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 3:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Most schools have a rule about potty training before going to school. He will probably be removed until he is potty trained. Accidents are okay, just have extra clothes there for him, but he needs to wipe his own butt.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I was worried about my son too, he was 4 when he finally pooped on the pot. I asked him :what would it take for you to go potty? and he said he didn't know. So I told him I wasn't going to help him anymore, so he might as well just go potty. And he did (I WAS shocked!)
    Have you had any discussion with the doctor? When during the day does he usually poop? You are going to have to tell him not to go in his pants at school. That's that. And cross your fingers and hope for the best. But seriously, call the doc for advice tomorrow.
    Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Talk to his teacher, for sure. She will advise you. Isn't it a requirement that they be toilet trained? Maybe he will use the potty there if it the rule that they have to. I wish you and him all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son needed a little extra motivation to get the poop part figured out. He was almost 3 and it was way past time. We tried all the usual things sticker charts and rewards. None of it worked. We were at the store and he wanted to get a big boy bike. He was told that only big boys got those and they didn't go in a diaper. For the next 3 weeks we let him get on the bike everytime we were at the store. That was all it took. Just a reason to be a "big boy".
    tisharanes

Answer by tisharanes at 10:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2010