does you son clean (his room?)

How did he learn to do this, not that I want any easy answers, I've tried everything, and also not cleaning for him. Maybe it's just time to leave it dirty longer,.........uuuuuuphhhh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My son is 3 and helps to clean up after himself, including his room.

As this is a teen forum, I would suggest you restrict privileges when he doesn't clean up after himself. After all, he is the one who made the mess. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. He should have enough pride to not let his room turn into a disgrace, to be honest. Also, if he tidies up a little everyday there is no excuse for the sight of the mess to become overwhelming.

Do not give in to him as it will just allow him to think that someone else will take the responsibility and he will carry that ethos with him into adulthood.

(You may think I am unqualified to speak about this, but I am often having to talk to my sibling about similar carelessness)
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Only when told
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• my 17 yr old just started keeping her room clean...she throws everything on the bed, cleans the floor, then sorts her garbage from her clothes then dumps all the clothes in the laundry...then I have to come along and tell her she isn't doing anything with anyone until all her laundry is done. oh then she throws the bag of trash in the garage without tying it, ticking off her step dad, which he thinks she does this on purpose.
    Up until now her room was something that you just didn't look at and kept the door closed. They have to decide when their space has become to much of a disaster and they have to want to have it clean.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010