Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need dental care what can i do?

i have been looking up free clinics but when i think i found one they want my crad info i dont have money to pay for a root canel or the med that i need to get rid of the the only one who works in my family and pay all my bills and bearly get by what should i do

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Health

Answers (9)
  • Any free clinic wants your information. Find a dental school, they do cheap work.

    Answer by StifflersMom82 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • Go to your clinic and fill out a form for the first time on list, they'll bump you when you are new.

    Ask the charities, like catholic social, or salvation army, or family services .... perhaps your (or some other) dentist can give you
    info. on a free clinic.

    You just need to sign in and give them your I.D. and past 1-3 months of pay stub , proof of no medical.

    Answer by coffeeyum at 2:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • Have you looked into CareCredit?

    Answer by But_Mommie at 2:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • I doubt you are going to find anyone to do a root canal at any reduced rate clinic or dental school. I'm been on Medicaid or going to those kind of places for over 20 years. They will want to pull the tooth. Most likely you will either have to pay for it yourself, have something else done to the tooth, or have it pulled. You should be able to find somewhere to give you antibiotics. Many antibiotics are on the lists pharmacies have for $4. If you live where there is a Meijer they give antibiotics away free. They give one kind of antibiotic free in each class of antibiotics. If you take the free and $4 lists with you then the dentist will know what to write the Rx for if they don't already know (they should).


    Answer by Gailll at 2:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • If you have any dental schools in your area call them and ask if they are accepting patients. Otherwise you are going to have to have to either give out your info to the free clinics, or find some way to borrow money and then pay at the time of your appointment. You could try calling dentists and see if any will be willing to set up payment arrangements with you (or send bills directly to your family member). I would not be surprised though that most probably will ask for the money up front or at time of service-- especially for a new patient.

    Answer by MizLee at 2:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • Your best bets are:

    Finding a Dental School in your area
    Find a dentist that will charge reduced fees for those who do not have insurance
    Find a dentis that will accept payment sif someone does not have insurance
    Go to a dentist that offers Care Credit (it's like a credit card used to pay for dental work) and sign up for that.

    You MUST MUST get this looked at and taken care of if you have an infection & an abcess. Trust me. I ended up spending 26 hours in the emergency room because of one once plus had to have 2 teeth pulled because it had gotten so bad. It can kill you, dental abcesses that aren't cared for. Trust me. I know.. lol... I went through rounds of IV antibiotics, CAT scans, drainage tubes put in my mouth to drain the abcess, plus the follow up dental work that had to be done (which included losing 2 teeth).

    Do whatever you can or have to in order to get this take care of.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 2:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • As far as getting antibiotics. You really need to have those prescribed by a physician that knows you have a dental abscess or by a dentist. Because of the the type of infection it is, they usually do not prescribe your just run of the mill amoxicillian etc. It's usuallya specific/special antibiotic. I was on clindamycin for 2 weeks. And that's the antibiotic used to treat malaria . Heavy duty stuff. It's because of the type of bacteria that is present in dental infections.
    So you must get checked out by a doctor &/or a dentist.

    Good luck.


    Answer by pixie_trix at 3:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • Google Operation Blessing International and read about their services. They are supposedly in all 50 states. Go through the website and call their 800 number.

    Also Google NIH for the National Institue of Health and search that website for dental care. Good luck

    Answer by elizabr at 4:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • You can call dentists in your area and ask for help. Don't give many and if they don't offer free care ask what resource they suggest. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.