My 3.5 year old son want his ear periced like his daddy's...

what do you think? I'm a little worried because he already has long hair like daddy. We dress him VERY boy,, I just don't want their to be any confusion and him get called a girl...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Here's my opinion on piercing any kid's ears: I think that so long as they are old enough to say that they want it and they are old enough to understand that it's going to sting some and hurt a little bit, then it's ok. I won't let my daughter's ears get pierced until she reaches that point. I just think it's mean to pierce a baby's ears because they don't understand what's happening and why they hurt. But as long as they can understand that it's going to hurt some and it's their decision to get them pierced, I think it's fine.

As far as him being confused for a girl, I wouldn't worry too much about that as long as you are dressing him in boy's clothes.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think he's a little too young.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 2:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• And when mine was little, he wanted to fly like Superman.

But it certainly didn't mean that I let him jump off the roof.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• In some cultures, babies ears are pierced within days of birth. In other places, foreskins are removed within days of birth. Of the two, I'd say the average 3yo could deal with ear piercing more easily and with less trauma...

The good thing about getting ears pierced that young is that they heal really quickly. The bad this is that it's one more potential 'ripped off' place on their body when their lives get energetic and clumsy.

I'd say it's a parent's call.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't see an issue with it. My 3yo is confused for a girl all the time - so what? it's not like it's going to do him any harm... As for the piercing itself, it is more than easy to remove later in life should he decide he doesn't want it - although an ear will not close, he can always remove the earring. Your issue may come in to finding a piercer that will do it so young. Most of the booths in a mall will do them, but those are far from safe. Just like you wouldn't want him to get a tattoo from someone who doesn't clean their tattoo gun, you don't want him getting pierced from someplace which can't clean their guns - and those guns can not be cleaned... So you should find him an actual piercer and have it done with a needle. I think that will be your biggest obstacle, because most piercers won't do it so young.

Your other options are magnetic earrings or clip ons, which are easily taken off...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• well what do u think? what does daddy think? does the boy know it will hurt?
    will you be ok with any negativity that may come your/childs way or are you sensitive to what other think?

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• seems normal to me... he wants be like daddy... that's awesome and its just an ear piercing... he can always take it out when he doesn't want it anymore. Make sure its a "small" earring (no hoops). Do only 1 ear instead of 2 -- that way people will know he's a boy.
    I think its natural and flattering for a child to want to be like dad. In my childs case he wants a tatoo... that I said no to until he's about 25 (family rule -- my mom made up for us too) but he can have his ear pierced whenever he wants. Right now he's in a that's for girls stage -- LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I let my 6 year old get his ear pierced, like daddy, so I see no problem with it. If my 4 year old had wanted to do it too, I would have let him, but he thought it was a crazy idea, because well, it was going to hurt. Different kids, different priorities.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Well I wouldn't pierce a girl's ears that young, so IMO it's too young, regardless of the gender. I'll let my daughter get her ears pierced when she is around 10 or 11 or so. When she is old enough to fully take care of them on her own. I would do the same for a boy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Well, if you don't want him to get it, you can pass the buck.. The piercing shop here said in front of my 10 year old that they don't do anyone under the age of 13. And explained his personal reasoning on the issue. Then you could just say the shops said no, you'll have to wait a while.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 5:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010