Pagan moms

Are you raising your children to be pagan or are you going to let them find religion on there own?
If you are when is a good time to start teaching them?
When is a good time to let them help you?

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 2:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm going to teach my daughter about different religions and let her decide when she's older. I'll probably let her help me when she's a little older if she wants to. I'll probably start teaching her things when she's 5 or 6 (she's almost 2 now). Bump!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm not actively teaching them any religion. When they get older, if they ask I will tell them my beliefs but whatever decision they make will be their own. Religion is too personal to be pushed on anyone, especially children.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It would be next to impossible for me not to teach my kids about my religion since we homeschool and they're around me all the time, but I do teach them about other religious beliefs as well. I don't force religion on my kids though because, ultimately, their choice of a religious path will be up to them and I want it to be a positive choice based on positive experiences. They've been part of the Pagan community and have gone to UU churches since they were born, so they've been learning about Paganism pretty much since they were born. And I think the best time to start letting them help is if/when they start asking to!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i am not teaching any religion to my son, imo he should learn all kinds of things from all different angles.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm going to let her find religion on her own.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm going to teach my son about all the different religions and let him decided what path he wants to follow.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 3:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We are an Interfaith household, so we aren't raising our kids with any religion. But that doesn't mean I'm not teaching them the basics. My kids are being raised with the general "harm None" rule and a great love of nature. We are also reading them myths from a number of paths so that they will have a better base of knowledge and understanding when it is time for them to find their own path.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I wasn't planning on teaching my kids religion until they were a little older, but my oldest (who is 7) has been expressing some Christian views that he learned from my uncle. While I am not flat out telling him they are wrong, I am letting him know that isn't what everyone believes. So, I am trying to keep the door open. I don't want my kids to feel pressured or pushed into any religion.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• DD knows some things about what we believe. But I'll never force my beliefs on her. When they start asking questions is when I begin to talk about it. Small things first. No need to go into major detail till their older (and if they want to learn it)
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son is only 14 months so I don't know when to start teaching them. But as far as if I am going to teach him any other religion yes I am. I want my son to make his own decision. I will teach him what I know about being a pagan and I will also teach him about Christianity. That was the religion I was raised as. It was not until about 3 years ago that i changed my religion. My husband also knows many different religions from when he was trying to find what was right for him. I don't have a problem with different religions or people in those religions until they start pushing their religion on me and telling me that I am wrong. But that is just how I look at it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010