Anyone have a bunny for a pet?

I would like to have a bunny some day, but am wondering how they do inside, and how hard is it to take care of them?

Thanks bunches:)

shanlaree

Asked by shanlaree at 2:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Rabbits aren't terribly difficult to take care of, but there are many things you need to know. Food: The diet should be mostly comprised of Timothy Hay and be supplemented with fresh veggies, dark leafy greens, and timothy hay pellets. Rabbits eat their poop - this is normal. The first time they digest food, it comes out as a soft stool that they eat and reprocess. Sounds gross, but it is necessary for them to get all the nutrients they can. The dry poop is when it comes out the second time. Housing: Rabbits do well in large cages or wandering around the house. Make sure your rabbit is never on a wire surface - they don't have pads on their feet like cats and dogs and wire bottoms can really hurt them. They can learn to use a litter box, but it most often used for urine. Getting them to use the box for poop is much harder. Medical care: See the vet every year or as recommended. They don't get vaccines, but they need vet care.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My sis and I had bunnies for pets--although with my dad's allergies they were outside pets only. I would think they would be ok as indoor pets-- make sure to keep their cage clean and if they are out of the cage 'bunny-proof' the house them as bunnies do like to chew. (ours used to chew on the wood of their hutch)
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• they can be litter trained like a cat, but they do chew on things.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have an inside bunny. He has a four story cage where he spends most of his time. I let him out in the morning for an hour and let him out just before bed for about an hour. He is mini-rex bunny. He is cat like. We are working on litter box training but not having much success. He thankfully does not "spray" on the carpet just leaves pellets. I spray his cage out once a week and change the pan about once a week. He mainly uses his litter box when he is in his cage. When we first got him I had to change the pan every day but now he uses the litter box. He has only chewed our hdmi cable other than that he has not chewed on anything. My first rabbit, she chewed so much stuff . I trim his nails about once a month. He is like a little puppy, he loves to follow me around.
    Rabbits are very curious creatures and very clean.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think the best breed of bunny is a netherland dwarf - seem to have a better personality than the other types. Can be litter boxed trained (if young enough). Yeah, if you let em wander in the house - watch out for chewed cables ... best to give cut branches off trees for chewing.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My sister has two. Its weird seeing bunnies in the house. I used to have show bunnies when I was a kid in 4H, but mine lived in a hutch in our barn with the horses. Her poor bunnies are always in their cages in her extra bedroom with the door closed because she has two dogs.... not a good set up and I feel bad for the bunnies.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We had a rabbit out side but not in. Our lived for years. Seemed all it did was eat and poop. We fed it regular rabbit food, carrotts, and lettuce. My husband make a cage w/ an enclosure for bad weather. Couldn't handle one inside myself.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I used to have two, plus all the babies they would have lol. I think I'm going to get my son a rabbit when he's older.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Oh and it would be better to keep them outside. They are sooo messy!
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thanks so much ladies:)
    shanlaree

Comment by shanlaree (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010