How to move out of state??

Never done this and would really like to. How do you go about doing this and what is the cheapest way to do this.

EternalDreams

Asked by EternalDreams at 2:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I moved to 3 diff states in 7 years and across the Atlantic. Rent a penske. Last time I payed 450 for 1700 miles for a 26 feet truck.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 2:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• How do you go about applying for jobs out of state and interviewing? Will they do phone interviews?
    EternalDreams

Comment by EternalDreams (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• If your job is important, they will. otherwise not. I work from home, that is why i can move wherever I want.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 3:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• If you are seriously considering this Google "best places to live" and you will see Money Magazine's top picks. Lots of good info. As far as jobs go, phone interviews might be a first step but you would have to plan on having a face to face interview too. Best wishes if you decide to go for it!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• When my husband was about to graduate from college, he would go to the websites of companies that he wanted to work for and then check out their job openings and apply. He did phone interviews with both companies that he interviewed with and then they paid for him to fly out for the interviews. One of the companies even offered to fly me out to check out the area, but I couldn't take time off work at that time. They put him up in a hotel and gave him a rental car. Both companies took him to lunch during the interview and then one took him and the other interviewees out to dinner. The job that he ultimately got then paid for us to move.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It's expensive to move because you will need a good stash of upfront money. First + last+ security= $$$$. make sure you have jobs lined up before you depart. Also, the regions with the best job markets (especially well paying jobs) also tend to be the most expensive areas to live. Think big cities.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I really want to know more about this, too! I have to move out of state before I can get pregnant again (home births are illegal here, and there aren't any midwives in this part of our state), so I want to move in the next year or two and get settled. Bumping you and I hope you get the answers!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would find a job with a company that will provide relocation assistance.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I own a home based business and can take it with me any where I want to go. I can show you how and will help you if you are interested. I am looking for some good people to join my team. www.greatworkplan.com/genegodwin Let me know if I can help!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 7:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010