how do i get my picky eater to eat?

MissxBunny

Asked by MissxBunny at 3:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What are they picky about eating?

I can only share my parenting experience o f 18 years. Most kids, get used to eating what they are fed, from day 1. If they have always been fed fruits and vegies, they are more likely to do so. If they have not, and they have eaten things like, hotdogs, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese..etc... and then are offered vegies and healthier options, they are less likely to eat them willingly.. Kids want and like what they are used to eating. Their taste buds are developing, they should be introduced to all sorts of foods (styles of cooking vegies, styles of having fruits, healthier eating styles) throughout their childhood in order to develop taste and liking for "good for you" foods.

Now. I have no idea what all you have fed your child. So I'm not saying that is or isn't what you are doing.. I'm just sharing my experience.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Have a variety of foods and make sure there is at least one thing they like at each meal. Let them eat whatever they want then. Don't force anything. If they don't eat ,so be it. They will be hungry at the next mealtime. Don't make the mistake of letting mealtime become a battle field. We did and still regret it to this day. Some will recommend having the child take at least one bite of everything. A lot of kids will easily comply with that which I think is great. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i just read that you can make a sandwich puzzle.. my daughter is a picky eater.. but i want to try that puzzle sandwich thing.. see how it works..
    BabyGirl1485

Answer by BabyGirl1485 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would sneak some good foods into a roll or something so that they would start to get used to the taste of good food.. thats what ive done
    mommyofelise

Answer by mommyofelise at 4:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• get creative and make the food look appealing. (cookie cutters for sandwiches, ants on a log for snack, etc.) Also get creative with dipping sauces. (apples dipped in PB or yogurt) And just keep offering healthy foods instead of junk foods.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010