What are your personal opinions on homeschooling?

I'm thinking about homeschooling.

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 9:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am home schooling my children and we all LOVE it. I have freedom, resources and "permission" to teach my children at the level THEY are at - so they can learn above grade level- for example my 5 year old child is multiplying because HE is ready and does not have to wait for the majority of kids. We also can teach wherever we happen to be so we have the freedom to travel when and for as long as we want. I can teach my child one on one based on their learning style.

And in regard to socialization there are many, many, many resources available. These programs not only provide opportunities to go on field trips and meet other kids (bullies and all), but to also get help in teaching subjects you may not be as familiar with and to lend you supplies you may need.

You can be sure to cater to your child and provide the BEST education possible at their pace- which is NOT what they will get in a public school.
    lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'm a homeschool graduate as is my husband, we both ABSOLUTELY LOVED being homeschooled. We'll definitely be homeschooling our children. If you want to talk to me a bit about my experience or have any questions you'd like to ask, feel free to message me =D
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'm a homeschooler mom. (First year) The previous 2 years my kids went to PS (public school).

We as a family are LOVING homeschooling and for the first time ever family members are honestly impressed with what my kids know and are doing......
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• IMO, if you have the patience, do it! my aunt homeschools 5 kids, and honestly i myself couldn't do it. but she's got the patience, so i give her props!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i think you are depriving your kids of an experience that they need in order to be a successful adult (by homeschooling). i know it can be successful but IMO, i wouldnt do it. i think kids need to learn about other people....all different people and what better way than at school. unless your school system is really bad, i don't see the need for it but to each his own.
    Anonymous

• I'm lucky enough to live in a FABULOUS school district. The elementary school and high school that I will be sending my daughter to have won several national awards. I realize that this may be considered offensive to some, but IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE all the home-schooled people that I have met have been odd at best. I have worked with and been friends with a few that lack social skills. Just from knowing these people, I'd have a hard time deciding to home-school my daughter. I feel that homeschooling (please don't shoot me) doesn't prepare children for the "real world". Quite often, children who have never been exposed to public education graduate, then are shell-shocked by what life throws at them. Also, I don't feel that I'd be able to teach my daughter all she needs to know. I think I'd be able to get her to high school level satisfactorily, but beyond that....eh.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I personally don't believe in it, I think it's better for the kids to go to school but that's my opinion.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I can't wait till my DD is old enough to start. I feel it is a strengthens the family bond. I know 3 families that homeschool and see how well thier child are academically and socially. I was at one time worried about the whole socialization thing, but IMO I notice that a lot of times they are more socialized then PS children. I know they are compared to what my friends and I were.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 10:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i wouldnt do it because i want my kids to socialize with other kids and if there homeschooled they wouldnt have that option but if thats what you want to do im not bashing!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have lots of experience with PS....and I am not at all impressed! While my children were in school, I was all for PS, but as the years went by and I saw what it was really all about....I would without a doubt homeschool my children!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2008