Do kids still play outside?

Is it just me, or are things different now than when you were younger? When I was little, we were outside from morning til night, lol. I rarely see kids outside anymore!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids play outside all the time. Even during the school year. My kids are having a rare and old fashioned childhood though. We live on a 100 acre farm,w/few neighbors. I let them get dirty and play in the mud,go bug and critter hunting. I guess the thing about my kids is that they actully enjoy doing outside stuff,I guess some kids these days do not. They also enjoy video games and TV but I'd rather them play outside.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 4:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I know what you mean! My kids are outside a lot, but I also have to watch to see who is outside before I can allow them out (there are some not so nice people who have moved in my neighborhood in the last few months, and I don't like the kids out there while they are out)
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I remember my mother literally pushing us out the door and locking it behind us... We hated to play outside, it was so boring. So we staid in every chance we got.
    My kids on the other hand, love being out there, and so they are, when they weather holds up... We have a back deck with really lets them come and go without needing someone to shadow them, and I think that helps.

Lots of parents keep their kids in because they are to afraid not to. Our society tells us if you aren't watching every move your kids makes, or if you take your eye of them "for a second" that something horrid will happen... Personally, I choose not to worry that much!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have noticed the same thing, i think its also lack of motovation on the parents as well as the childrens, They have so many reasons to be inside, with finishing that monster off on level five, Living in the sims world or the internet and tv! My daughter and i are constintly outside but some days its too hot to go outside.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 3:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I want to add, I'm referring to during the summer. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I send my kid outside all the time. When he was younger we played outside almost all day, even in the winter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• mine do! I <3 my fenced in back yard!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My kids play outside everyday.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 3:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Most kids are in daycare and lessons...

But yes, in my neighbourhood there are kids outdoors, still.

What's really unusual compared to my childhood is the number of adults in playgrounds. There used to be none --or some creepy guy hanging around the edges. Now they often outnumber the kids.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Mine do!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010