What is TOO big?

My 2 yr old is now officially TOO big. That is what the doc said. She just turned 2 2 days ago. She is 37 inches tall and weighs a whopping 41 pounds. She does not eat junk or drink junk. She is only allowed to have water and milk to drink. She is very limited on the amount of fruit because of natural sugars. I also limit her carbs. What am I doing wrong still? I don't want to create a child that is FAT or that is diabetic because I made her that way.

JDBacon

Asked by JDBacon at 3:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Okay so I ran your number in the 'percentile calculator' at pediatrics.about.com and she is in the 97th in height and weight according to them. That makes her very tall and proportionate. A tall child is automatically going to weigh more than a short one... If she was the same height and 28 pounds they would say she was way to thin. I personally would let it go. She is tall. And in the profile pic you have, if that 's her, she looks fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• listen, this is just my opinion... but if you know you are feeding her healthy amts and she is getting movements then just forget it...
    Luckily my dr. is old school enough to use his EYES as well as charts and realizes the humans come in all shapes, types, and sizes... so she doesn't fit into the typical curve... but...
    she eats healthy, she gets excercise. ... then she is healthy and the way she is meant to be... and you mentioned that she is muscular well muscle weighs more.
    If you dr. is just looking at the charts and not the child as an indiv. it may be time to look elsewhere.
    We do not all fit into one mold. UGH
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• cut back on milk, increase exercise, cut out or cut back on snacks, watch portion sizes? good luck!
    michellelvs4

Answer by michellelvs4 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• What is your definition of 'junk'? Juice is junk (mostly sugar, too few other nutrients to make it healthy)... white flour and white rice are junk... and so is everything made from them (pasta, cookies, buns, biscuits, muffins, crackers, etc.) Dietary restrictions on macro-nutrients (proteins, carbohydrates and fats) may be the problem in itself... offer whole foods in as close to their natural state as possible.

That means not rice flour --not even brown rice flour, not even organic non-gmo brown rice flour-- when whole rice is a choice. Not juice or puree or 'sauce', but whole fruit. Carrots, not carrot juice or carrot muffins. Chicken, not chicken nuggets or chicken 'ham'... and like that. Garbage like 'whole grain' breakfast candy and that crap 'Wonder' bread aren't whole foods.

How active is she? If tv viewing and sitting in the car take up more than a few hours a day, she's not moving enough, and that may be all of it
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Some kids are just BIG. My dd wasn't 41 lbs (well, she is now at 3) but she was getting close. She's always been stocky but never fat and only recently started thinning out and growing up. That said she has not lost weight, and she's been in 5T clothes from the time she was 2 1/2 and still is now, a year later. If you don't think there is anything wrong and your kid is not a big tub of lard lol, I'd be asking for a second opinion. My dd has always been in the 95th to 98th percentile for weight and not once have I been told she was too big, even when her height dropped to the 33rd percentile.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i would limit all dairy.
    keep in mind that a portion size is the size of your daughter's fist.
    i would try 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, and mostly natural foods, not processed.
    try to push more water and more vegetables.
    carbs should be brown, rice, pasta and bread.
    i wish you the best of luck!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We're in FL too and I feel you about not being able to get outside. It is just too hot and muggy to be outside for more than 5 min, not to mention the mosquito's. We don't allow artificial food colorings here so that really limits the junk here too.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• First of all, doctors look strictly at numbers not how much muscle or fat she has. She does sound big on paper but that doesn't mean she really is. I have a friend with a son who is really, really tall for his age and he is a tooth pick. But because he is so tall when you look at the chart he comes across as too big. The doctor ended up giving my friend literature on obese children!!! It's so ridiculous. I personally would have told the Doctor to piss off but that's just me. Numbers on paper don't alsways show what's really going on.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think that your dit restrictions could actually be the problem. My DS1 is the same height but about 10lbs lighter, he can eat anything he wants as long as it's healthy fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, whole milk, full fat butter, and real meat. Yes there are somedays where all he wants to eat is toast but there are also days where all he'll eat are fruits and veggies.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 7:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Every child is different just get her to be more active
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 9, 2010