no more naps? Out of nowhere?

my son is almost 2 1/2. He usually takes his nap around 2/2:30, but today he is just refusing. We followed through with the routine but he just doesnt seem tired. Not overtired, just...not tired. An hour has passed and he's mellow...I will try again in a few. Is this a common age for toddlers to stop with naps altogether? And does this transition happen in a day?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sometime between 2 1/2 and 3 my son decided that naps weren't for him anymore lol. so i make him take a rest instead. either sit in his room and read books, watch a movie, play toys quietly, whatever, as long as it's quiet and he's resting. sometimes he falls asleep anyway, sometimes he doesn't. depends on how wore out he is.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• that's about the right age. he will probably go through phases of taking naps then not. my dd is almost 3 1/2 and she still takes them sometimes, but i dont expect it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• By the time my dd was 3 she told me she didnt need naps anymore. We fought for a couple of weeks but it was no use. She didnt need the nap and went to bed at night an hour earlier. My son loves his naps. He is two and he will sometimes sleep for more than 3 hours and he still goes to bed early. Each kid is different.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 3:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• my son can still sleep a good 3 hours. he sleeps really well at nighttime. lately his bedtime seems to be about 9pm and he's up around 8am. his naptime is normally around 2/2:30-4 or sometimes 5. Yesterday he woke up around 6:30 and I had to wake him for dinner.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• yeah, when my son sleeps, he sleeps the whole time, which is 12:30- 4 sometimes 5, if not, he does fine without a nap, but if i wear him out, like took him to play at a play area or the park all day, then he goes to bed early.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Both our boys gave up their napes at age 2. They just would play in their bed and not nap. Quiet time is a good way for both of you to take a break.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• that's what my son is doing too - if we do get him to nap, he will take a 2 -3 hour nap however, he will fight it as much and as often as he can -he has been refusing naps for about 2 months now and you can tell he needs it or is tired, I tried tired rest time in his bed or with a movie but he wil scream like its true torture and fits arise and he will not sit for a movie for anything,. he's turning 3 in nov and wow the energy of this child is crazy to me - I think its because he sucks it from us...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• both my boys stopped takeing naps at 2
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 9, 2010