what are some things you were told as a child....

and you look back now thinking "why the hell was I told that?" I'll give you an example.
When I was little I bought a reggae cassette which had all different musicians and songs. One song was "Joseph", about the religious figure. Well I didnt know that back then. I asked my grandma who Joseph was and she told me the song was based on a soap opera character. So for all those years, even though it didn't make much sense, I thought "Joseph" was a guy from Days of Our Lives or some show like that LMAO.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well, my mother told me that panda bears got their spots from crying black tears. and when i was in school i saw that same story in a book. I believed it till almost high school. LOL
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 3:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Don't swim until an hour after you eat or you will drown from stomach cramps.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i remember once asking my mom if we rented or owned our home. She told me we rented. But we didnt rent, we owned the house. I dont know why she told me we rented. Weird.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My parents told me that we don't have enough food because the country is poor. In fact the country produced enough but the crazy dictator we had was exporting everything to other countries, leaving his own people to die of starvation. In 1989 when the dictator was killed (ceausescu), Romania had 0 debt. In fact, many countries still owe us money because we always gave money to anyone. Especially middle eastern countries. Iraq owed Romania 2 billion dollars. But 3 years ago when iraqis kidnapped 3 romanian journalists, the Romanian president pleaded with them to let them free in exchange of forgiving the debt. Not that we would have ever had a chance to see that money back otherwise.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 3:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• that it was perfectly sae to ride in the bed of the pickup truck lol
    STRAWBERRYRAIN

Answer by STRAWBERRYRAIN at 3:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My parents really prized truth and were very careful what they told us kids. We weren't taught to believe in santa or the tooth fairy. So when other adults mentioned these things to us, we thought they were nuts. My BROTHERS, on the other hand, LOVED to feed me lines! LOL! One Christmas I wanted to know what was in their gift to my mom, and they told me it was "gerber baby bath balls". It was a gerber knife. They also told me the chamomile (plant with the little round yellow tufts) was camel's eggs! LOL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• When I was little out milkman was quite a family man and loved kids. He used to let us ride down the block in his milk truck. On one such trip, he told my sister and I that chocolate milk came from chocolate cows. Funny the things you remember....that stuck with me and I told my kids the same thing. Anyone remember the Bill Cosby ads for, I think, ice cream, about the Freezer cowS?
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 4:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• hee hee ... I remember telling my sister that the mountains were just really TALL trees!!!

Can't forget the "eat all your food because of the starving kids in Africa." I think that I sassed back ... "Then why don't we send these greens (spinach) to them so they can have food." Things get a little fuzzy after that ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• That every time it rains God is crying over the mess of the world. My extremly religous g-ma told me that. The rain used to make me so sad.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Eating sea monkey food will kill you (after I ate it)
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 4:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2010