What age do you have the sex talk with your child

VBurgess

Asked by VBurgess at 9:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have two girls. The age I give the talk is eleven, before they enter sixth grade. I use a manual called Passport to Purity. It is a helpful guide to plan a special weekend for information and memorable fun. It emphasizes peer pressure too. I think this age is still impressionable, I can influence them and in this community anyway, they hear it from me first.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think it should depend on where you live, in some places, kids may need it earlier then in other places. Personally, I plan on having the talk with my children when they are in 5th grade. It's kind of far away for me, so maybe the time will change once it gets closer, depending on the surroundings and how kids are acting then. By the time I hit 6th grade, there were lots of kids having sex, (smoking, and doing drugs, so that talk needs to be early too).
    KaylanaBana

Answer by KaylanaBana at 9:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• when they start asking questions. just remember to be honest.
    tcanady

Answer by tcanady at 9:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Be opened without involving details. My daughter became curious at 10. She is eleven, started her period 6 months ago, as well as special education through school. I'd say that they definatelly need to be ready by 6th grade.
    Leens

Answer by Leens at 10:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Honestly I have talked to all of my children about it which range from 5 year old girl, 10 year old son, step children are 14 year old girl and 16 yr old boy. Of course you need to be age appriopriate. My 5 year old now understands where babies come from but not really how they get there. One little piece at a time and the older ones I sat them down in front of the computer with STD pictures and delivery pictures and showed them what both parties can look like if they don't protect themselves and regardless of anything I will be open and not try to change their minds and have things in the bathroom for them to use if the need arises with no questions asked.
    Venus77

Answer by Venus77 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We have never had "the talk" because it has always been an open book. My sons are 14 now and if they asked I question I answered it. As they got older I took opportunities to interject lessons and education as we saw things on TV or they told me about things they heard at school.
    I never felt that sex or any other subject we off limits and told my kids to feel free to ask about anything and everything.
    Krowla

Answer by Krowla at 8:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Unfortunately, now a days, our children hear a whole lot before 11. My mom had me at 14. So she literally starting talking to me about good touch/bad touch etc., etc real early. I think I was the only kid in 1st grade who know how babies were really made. I talk openly with all three of my "big Kids". I want them to be comfortable talking/asking questions. I even put a Urinary chart male/female in the bathroom. So they'd know the "real" names. I don't believe I am promoting sex to my children, it's more of giving them education that they need. Ignorance can cause so much havoc.
    jmdivine

Answer by jmdivine at 2:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2008