How do you keep water outta the ear with tubes in?

My dd may need tubes & I'm curious as to how you wash their hair without getting water in their ears. Is a little water okay or do we have to put plugs in too? I'm guessing they can't swim until after they are out or can they? These are just some of my concerns with having her get them. I've now heard good things about them so I'm assuming these are just minor things in comparison.

Asked by Jesstsilly at 7:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• When they first put the tubes in we used the silocone plugs but I found them to be very hard to get in my active son's ears, so when he went to his ENT for his check up they made him a pair of fitted plugs and they were deffiently worth paying the extra money for they fit perfect and they just fall right in place. His ENT told us we only had to use them if he was going to be in water for a while or splashing a lot. I use them everytime I always thought better safe than sorry!! Good luck

Answer by redtang912 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• silicone ear plugs. Availbable at most pharmacys. You do not put them inside the canal. When my grand daughter had her second set of tubes in October he said ashe could play in chlorinated water w/o them. If she is actually swimming or diving under she must have ear plugs. Any time she is even playing around ocean or river she must have them in. Regular bath depends on the kid. If they splash a lot yes. When washing hair always. At least thats the rules according to our ENT.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Ask the Dr if they plan on using the ones that can get wet? Our DS had tubes put in a yr ago, and we asked about swimming with them in and the dr said you can do everything you would normally do and that includes swimming under the water, he had the tubes for about a yr when they were ready to come out, They never ever bothered him during swimming or any thing with water

Answer by Tjsmum at 8:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Also forgot to add that my son swims at least 1 hr everyday sometimes longer. We just make sure we put the plugs in his ears. They can still do everything they did before the tubes they just have to wear plugs is the only difference. If you are interested in what the plugs look like I can send you a pic of them!!

Answer by redtang912 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2008