Dollar Store Wholesalers? (for candles mostly)

I buy my taper candles 6 for a $1 at one of our local dollar stores. They come in a pack with a holder. What I was thinking is, if they can sell them for $1 a pack, they must not be paying more than half of that... So there has to be a way to skip the store and simply go to the wholesaler. Does anyone know about that kind of thing? I don't mind buying in bulk, because I know I'll use it, but if I can get the stuff cheaper I figure it's at least looking in to. Are there any online wholesalers?

Where do I start?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Shopping

• Google wholesale candles
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You would need a business license (Tax ID #) in order to buy in bulk from a wholesaler. Even in bulk, wholesalers will not sell to the public. You can have a home business, and it doesn't have to generate much, but here in PA you have to pay the $75 for the business license fee and any quarterly taxes--but only on in state sales.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• And I'd look at oriental trading. com as well...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• LK is correct

In order to qualify as a wholesale buyer, you must have a business license. My mother got one ( In Texas) strictly for being able to buy some items wholesale.. She keeps her license by turning around and selling some of her bulk at flea markets and the like. Keeps the business "legit" and keeps her license so that she can buy whatever she needs in bulk wholesale. I know the rules are pretty much the same here in Oregon as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have a business license & Tax ID. And I'm in PA too...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Then you're all set!!

Simply Google wholesale candle companies--I used one in Canada a while back, as I used to make wedding favors and silk floral centerpieces and arrangements.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I am opening a wedding planning business, in addition to the small home business I have now. I have been gathering items such as a Chocolate & Champagne Fountain, Card Box & other things that my clients can rent should they choose... Eventually I would like to have a "one stop shop" type of deal. So being able to offer low cost candles and balloons without having to send them somewhere else would be a benefit as well. Plus, I would like to be able to use them for my own usage.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• That's what I'm looking for here. I've searched them a few times, but a website can say anything... I don't want to end up ripped off because I used some fake company online. I would rather know that someone has used them.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• you can buy in bulk @ dollar tree...check out oriental trading.com and abcdistributing.com...im gettin into the same business...when i come across stuff ill let you know...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2010