can you develop ocd?

Ok so im wondering, can you just develop ocd? Im pregnant and I dont know if its nesting or ocd. I am CONSTANTLY wanting to clean, and if I set down to rest, I cant concentrate really because I know something needs cleaning. Its driving me insane.

prego_jessi

Asked by prego_jessi at 4:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• since you are pregnant I would say it is nesting
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yes, OCD is something that you could develop but considering you're pregnant, it's most likely nesting. I was that way when I was pregnant, ALWAYS cleaning & re-cleaning. My fiance used to yell at me about it lol. I would even wake up at 3am to clean because something wasn't done or done right. Then you have the baby & you can go to bed without doing the dishes & feel okay with it=]
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm saying nesting cuz of your pregnancy but ocd is caused by feeling out of control & developing rituals to help you feel like you are in control. Are you cleaning or are you preforming rituals? Do you have to check your locks a certain # of times, check the stove, turn the lights on or off, wash your hands a certain amount? These are ocd behaviors. Many times we overexagerate our cleaning & talk about ocd. when you feel like you have to preform these rituals or bad things will happen then its ocd & you should seek help from someone qualified specifically to deal w/ ocd.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would think it's the pregnancy and not OCD. If it stays that way after your pregnancy, then get evaluated for OCD. OCD can take over your life.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You're nesting, it's not OCD.
    You have to have the triggers for OCD in your brain. You just don't develop it one day. If OCD comes on later in life, then it was triggered by an event, usually tragic. Either way, whether early on or later on it is already built into your brain. It's not spontaneous.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You can develope OCD, but Id be willing to bet it's the nesting urge due to being preggo. After the baby is born and your still obsessed with cleaning then see your Dr or a mental health professional about it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yes, it could be OCD but most likely it is nesting. Nesting can hit at different times in pregnancy and can last different lengths of time. If you are still doing this after the baby is born then see your Doctor. I suffer from OCD and it can take over your life very quickly.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yes, It you can "develope" OCD tendancies. My OCD took off after the death of my Mom. And i'm currently pregnant and between stress, hormones, etc my OCD has been horrible during my pregnancy. But I would say in your case since its only been while pregnant that its nestling. OCD is something that can effect your life majorly. But if things continue after the pregnancy, maybe undergo an evaluation for it.
    LovesHerKiddos

Answer by LovesHerKiddos at 12:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I bet it is just nesting
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:34 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, a traumatic event can trigger OCD
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 2:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2010