I have a three year old who is still breastfeeding mostly at night what are the affects of alcohol ?

I drank last night which I should not have and now my child has been vomitting and extremly loose bowles and very tired and sleepy. Do I need to worry about anything else at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did you nurse her when you were still feeling the affects of the alcohol? That would be a big no-no. But once you are sober, your milk is clean and you're good to go. Even if you do nurse your child when you still have alcohol in your system, very little of it actually gets through to your milk - something like 2%. Whatever did get through to your child would have a similar effect on her as it would on an adult. It really shouldn't make her sick all day unless you were totally loaded when you nursed her, and even then it's a stretch. So if you weren't loaded when you nursed her and her symptoms have been going on all day, I am very inclined to think that she has a bug or ate something bad, and your drinking has nothing to do with it.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, but 3 years old and still breastfeeding? Seriously? WOW!

Aside from that, if you are breastfeeding then you should probably not be drinking. That's my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I have no idea but i just wanted to comment and say that i am so proud of you for breast feeding so long. i breast fed for 7 weeks.
    Anonymous

• So I'm not trying to bash, but at three years, is that actually good for a child? Wouldn't that be comparable to giving a three year old a bottle? I would think that would no longer actually by healthy. I'm really not bashing, I just don't know.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• ohh man 3 years old!! thats crazy! but anyways whatever you eat or drink it goes to your child through your milk and drinking alcohol is deff a no no it could hurt him! i would call your doc or get him to a hospital because in kids that young alcohol lowers there blood sugar! call poison control
    Anonymous

• ITA with the last two posters. I think it's a little odd myself, and I can't imagine how good it is for the child. The usual age to get kids off the bottle is 1 year (12 months) of age. NOT trying to bash you either, but I think 3 years is a little excessive!!!!
    Anonymous

• Is this a real post? For real. You can't be that irresponsible to BF a kid while you're drunk. You just can't. Also, unless you're talking to a BF group, everyone will think you're nuts for nursing a pre-schooler anyway! I think this is a joke post...........I've nursed 4 kids for 7 yrs and counting and I've never nursed them while I was drunk. My achin' back!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• To answer some of the responders first...breastmilk NEVER loses its value and there's nothing wrong with nursing to age three if both parties still want to.

To the original poster..the sleepiness on its own would be a response to alcohol exposure if you get really really drunk. The vomiting and loose bowels tell me baby got a bug instead, and it's likely that's causing the sleepiness too. Being sick does take it out of you.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• No one said the milk wouldn't be of value. And I personally believe that it is wrong. I don't agree with bf a child that old. They are in preschool. It's time to lay off the nipple.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Let your babe wean when your babe is ready. In other cultures it is normal for a baby to wean somewhere before age 5. Our children are no different...only societys view. Kudos for the extended nursing mama!!!!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2008