What are some ways you save money or lower costs?

I love finding ways to lower our costs while still having everyone be happy.

Some examples substituting koolaid for pop. Things like that. Any other ways to cut costs or be frugal.

partiesbyjan

Asked by partiesbyjan at 5:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I make my own cleaners, make most of our food from scratch, iron vs sending hubby's work clothes out for drycleaning...
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• safeway has an online coupon site where you can load coupons onto your safeway card.

Also, we but tea bags by lipton instead of buying the bottled kind.
    We have a brita filter on our faucet so we don't buy so much bottled water
    Frozen vegetable mixes for stir fries
    make baked good from scratch, completely, it does save if you make them every so often
    SIgn up for membership on diaper websites, like Pampers or Huggies...I save a ton that way
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• With your own cleaners does that include laundry detergent? I am thinking of trying this but not sure how hard it would be.
    partiesbyjan

Comment by partiesbyjan (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I try hard not to waste anything, or throw away anything that has a use. I use plastic bags that the bread comes in for trash bags in my car, for example. I also make my grocery list straight from the grocery sale ad, and buy in bulk if there is a good sale on something we use a lot. Sometimes my pantry is full of cereal boxes or crackers or canned foods because there was a good sale, lol. I also try to use generic but for some things I refuse because the quality is too poor.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Buy food in bulk if possible.
    Cook froms scratch - even cookies or pancakes are done from scratch at our house.
    Check out "hillbilly housewife" - they've got tons of stuff, including making your own laundry soap (2 yr supply at my house cost me less than 12 bucks and we're a family of 5).
    We unplug the surge protectors when we go to bed (computer, big screen, small kitchen appliances)
    In winter, we got some old quilts from a thrift shop and covered the windows on the north side of the house as well as any outside doors we don't use (we have 6 entrances into our house)
    In summer, we don't run the air conditioner at all if we can help it. Also, we use hurricane lamps to light the house at night in winter.
    Grocery bill for family of 5 for 1 month - 300 bucks, including diapers. we use alot of powdered milk to make chocolate milk - HH website has a chocolate syrup recipe that is cheap and easy. Good luck
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We really don't do things to cut costs. Lol.

I guess the furthest that we go is every few months we cancel our debit card to stop any recurring subscriptions, like for games or other things... And only re-activate things we REALLY use. We also take that time to analyze our subscriptions with GameFly and NetFlix and see if we're currently using all that we've ordered. If not, we take it down a step.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Oh yes and household items
    Hydrogen peroxide is a great spot stain remover, disinfectant, and multi-purpose cleaner, costs about 1.50 for the large bottle and you just buy the spray bottles.

Baking soda and Vinegar clean almost any grime, use as paste and scrub

rubbing alcohol for windows/mirrors
    Add baking soda to the wash to use less detergent

Okay now Im thinking of how much I'm saving, and I LIKE IT
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I hope you meant you buy Koolaid instead of Soda. Koolaid is better for you (compared to soda) and cheaper in the long run.
    Other ways are you buy groceries to last you 2-3 weeks. Buy mostly store brand instead of name Brand. Buying with Coupons and going by sale prices isn't always the cheaper option. Especially when doing 2 for 1. Because they tend to try to get you to buy more then you need. As well they wrack up the initial price to cover the "free" item.

Reuse containers from butter, lunchmeat (the plastic containers, not the resealable bags), etc for leftovers. This saves you in buying those expensive name brand storage containers.

Don't buy more then what you need. Don't buy JUST BECAUSE it's on sale. Carpool to work/school if possible. Bring a sack lunch rather then eat out. Even for kids, because the cost of buying lunch everyday is costly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• we use 1 window air conditioner (in the living room( I put up some curtains to keep the cool air in there that way the A/C is running all the time. And on nights when it is too hot to sleep in the bedrooms we can all bunk down in there. It save from not having A/C on in every room. I make big batches of things that can be frozen. That way we can still eat good but in way less time. DH and I will bring frozen foods to work to save $$ saves each about $50.00 a week.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Oh and of course, making food from scratch. But I actually enjoy that, and it's healthier for us too, so I forget that it also saves us money! Also, I read somewhere that we all use way too much dishwasher detergent and laundry soap when we wash. I have cut my use in half for these things and haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the clean I get. And I am picky about cleanliness of dishes and clothes so I would notice.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010