Anyone do composting?

This is one area where we want to start but haven't as of yet. I know the basics of what to put in it what I am wondering is do you out in weeds to? And if you do does that mean there are seeds in there from the weeds that will grow more weeds? I want to be able to see if I can throw weeds in there also. Thanks for your answers.

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have a two compartment compost bin built near my garden. We put everything under the sun in there. The most efficient breakdown of waste is by layering it green, brown, green, brown.... it needs water, heat, and air to breakdown. I have a big pitchfork that I toss it from one compartment to the other to make sure everything gets mixed nicely. I add water in the form of a concoction of water, cola, ammonia, and dish soap from Jerry Bakers Gardening formula's. I really speeds it all up nicely. I even through in all my shredded paper!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We compost. We do scraps from the kitchen (egg shells, veggie scraps, coffee filters, etc. etc. etc.) and DH throws in fresh grass clippings, dead plants and definitely weeds...and dead leaves in the fall. You won't grow more weeds, everything breaks down....its crazy all the things you can compost.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yes, you can put in weeds, but only if they haven't flowered or set seed yet or you may get more weeds in your garden when you use the compost from your bin. Compost doesn't always get hot enough to kill the weed seeds, so better safe than weeding.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Toss in everything but animal matter or salted items- use common sense. The heat from the compost process should kill weed seeds. You said you already know what you need- materials that will give the right nutrient mix and let the pile heat up and decompose.

Answer by Bmat at 7:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You can put anything but animal matter (meat waste) in there. (You don't want animals helping themselves to the compost and it doesn't break down without major stink.)

I put weeds in mine and grass clippings. But mine isn't in a nice neat bin, its just a big pile in the back corner of our property.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I want to but my HOA is very strict. My sister in law does though.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We have an open bin and we compost everything. Weeds, chicken bones, dog poop, dryer lint, yard waste, food scraps, I mean everything. Ours gets really hot and breaks stuff down very very fast. It took about 2-3 months for it to really get a healthy bacteria culture going full force. No worries about seeds growing. They rot in there.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2010