I think i just lost my mind...what do you think about young girls dying their hair?

My DD has been wanting to dye a peice of her hair blue forever, she is slmost 9. After seeing a few kids in her school who had dyed their hair, i thought about it. All of them looked really cute. The only thing, is that my DD's hair is really dark. Well, i must have been really bored or just lost my mind, but she finally convinced me. I actually bleached a piece of her hair & am now dying it blue. All of a sudden, i freaked & thought "what the heck am i doing?" Anyhow, i hope it looks cute. And i hope people don't think i'm crazy!

What do you think about young girls getting a peice of their hair dyed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• @ Glamourina

I permed my hair starting at 7 or 8 and dyed my hair in 6th grade. My mother let me experiment with my hair and that kept me from being disobedient and going out and having sex and doing drugs. I felt comfortable with myself and who I was becoming and not trying to grow up to fast. HOW many girls who have strict parents and wont budge on anything really go through life being a goody goody??? Not many they get pissed off that they can't do ANYTHING and go for the worst most devastating life changing things. Where do you think Lifetime gets their material? lol. I'm glad Glamourina isn't my mom. I'm glad my mom was nice enough to let me do what I want with my hair. And at the end of it all I still have the prettiest hair thickest hair best color hair out of anyone I know on a personal level. It didn't change me or make me a bad person or grow up too fast
    mommytobe626

Answer by mommytobe626 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My dad was a hairdresser so we were always doing that and way before it was cool to do it! I'm ok with it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I THINK IT IS FINE I HAD PINK HAIR WHEN I WAS 12 I DONT SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• She will probably turn it into the next big craze at school...:) My dd is almost 18 and if you think this is cause for loosing your mind, just wait,,,lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Pick your battles. It's only hair. It will grow. It can be cut offor colored over. The schools my sons attended did not allow 'unnatural hair colors' so it wasn't an option. My youngest wanted to shave his head. I said fine. He was like "really?" Once the shock value was gone he lost interest.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Everyone seems to be letting their kids dye their hair these days. It's personally not for me. My daughter will not be wearing makeup or dyeing her hair until at least 13. And high heels will be at her first formal dance, not a day earlier. I don't see the point in letting them grow up too fast, but it's becoming more and more common with parents because it is "cute". I personally want to keep my daughter in age appropriate things as long as I can.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• She is dying a piece of it not all of it. Thats okay.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• one piece is okay the hole head wait till she is little older have fun
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It's just one piece of hair, no big deal. I don't see how that makes them grow up any faster.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think she should wait for Halloween and use one of those non permanent dyes so it washes out quickly. That's if of course you approve of the thinking. Otherwise I think I would not be too happy with it all. There are older kids who do color their hair like that to stand out. I wouldn't do it to my own hair but some of it in the various reds is done very tastefully. but, not something I would recommend a nine year old child try unless it was of course for Halloween.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2010